11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
newbiemum

Re: Previous Year's Pass Marks

Post by newbiemum »

I so wish! :D
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

UmSusu wrote:I definitely checked my letter before posting and if newbiemum has the same letter then that is what they sent out to everyone - besides I doubt they write the whole letter out from scratch. So I would say this is their official stance on first allocations.

On the other hand KenR wrote the sticky based on the feedback he got from parents about what KE had told them. So I guess we need someone from KEF to clarify....... maybe there is a chance that my DS scored the 285 score after all and what I received was a misprint :lol: :lol: :lol:

UmSusu
I wasn't going to get into this and was looking to enjoying my four months off, but......

When I read the letter I picked up on the score for " finitial allocation". Given not all those initially allocated will accept, surely this means that the actual score of the last person to get place for each school will be lower than the figure published.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

To be quite honest, I hadn’t noticed the discrepancies in the QS (for FW, KEA and BV) because we have a dd who sat the exam this year and KEFW isn’t one of our options.

But since I’ve got written evidence of QS scores for all the Consortium schools from the KEF in 2011 and also, their recent letter containing dd2’s score, I felt it was necessary that I contacted KE admissions about the variation of QS for KEFW, KEA and BV in 2011/12.

Anyhow, the Admissions Office have thanked parents for bringing this to their attention and also stated, that they are “investigating" and will come back to us as soon as possible.
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

That's very interesting then, especially for borderline scores as decisions have been made based on the information in the qs letter. it could have effected preferences somewhat. Perhaps we shall see if they respond.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

I have received a response today. This is what they said:

Dear ****,

I refer to your email of 3 November.  Despite many checks of the letter, the initial cut off figure for the King Edward VI Grammar Schools should have read:

KE VI Aston                         217
KE VI Five Ways                223

The initial cut off for Bishop Vesey's Grammar School was 215.
We sincerely apologise for this error.  The scores were intended to assist parents with the application process; the letter informs parents that entry scores for 2013 may be higher, lower or the same.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Yours sincerely

The Consortium of Grammar Schools in Birmingham
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Thanks for posting their response. Are those the 2011 or 2012 scores they are referring to? While I am happy to see FWs QS go down, as we are only a few point above it, I do wonder if people have discounted schools based on the letter and whether there will be lots of appeals. Just goes to show that you should put your first choice first and hope for the best (just like the old system :lol: !)
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

BV has gone up 4 points though, if you were borderline or a point below based on 211 that's quite significant! Maybe that is why the letter states may go up, down or stay the same to cover the discrepancies people point out! Maybe they expect that.
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

Ah I suppose that's initial cut off and appeal cut off so it dropped. I think.
um

Post by um »

So are these the 2012 scores?

The discrepancy is significant in the case of BV in particular, and could give 'false hope' to many parents.

I don't think that appeals and waiting list entrants drop the score much, if at all, for the schools, keeping in mind that all the Grammars initially over-offer in any case.

I know one boy who was 1 point off the CH score last year and 9th on the waiting list; he was not offered a place. Similarly, another who was 1 point off the BV score, appealed with very good reasons, and again was not offered a place. It seems therefore, that the last entry score in March is pretty much the last entry score in September.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

um wrote: keeping in mind that all the Grammars initially over-offer in any case.
Over-offer? Could you please elaborate?
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now