Where to begin?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
spytek

Where to begin?

Post by spytek »

Hello Everyone.

I am new to this forum and am looking for advise on where and how to begin the process of preparing my daughter for the 11+ exam. Currently she is in Year 4 so she has two years to prepare. She is also one of the youngest in her year group (being born in August).

I don't plan on getting her private tuition until later on and I want to try and help her prepare as much as possible by teaching her myself. I'm not sure where and how to actually start the preparation and I'm sure many parents have been in this position themselves.

I've had a look at the practice papers as well as the material that is likely to be covered in the exam and some of it seems too advanced for an 8 year old and I haven't found much material that is age related.

I have a few questions which hopefully you can answer.
  • 1) Am I starting too early considering her age or is it never too early to begin preparation?
  • 2) How much time should I set aside each week to help her prepare?
  • 3) Anyone recommend any books that will help her baring in mind that she will be applying for King Edward's Grammar schools in Birmingham?
  • 4) What other material can she look at and explore that will indirectly help her with the 11+?
Any suggestions and advice would be greatly welcome. Thanks.

Rob
muminbrum

Re: Where to begin?

Post by muminbrum »

Welcome!

I plan to start with DS2 after Christmas having just sent off CAF form for DS1. I prefer the little and often approach as I work FT and we're often busy at weekends. I would say that with DS1 it was 30-60 min most, but not all, weeks until Easter. DS1 had 6 sessions with a tutor over the summer holidays to get him used to doing tests in a strange environment as much as anything. There is lots of advice on here (which I didn't find until the results came out :cry: ) about the format of the exams and the best books to use - we started with Practice and Pass but Bond also do age-specific books that are a simple introduction. Reading helps a lot as a good vocabulary is important so spending time now encouraging that is a good plan. I tried to keep it all low key because I didn't want DS1 to be too upset if he didn't pass. I also found looking round the schools in year 4 was a great motivator (and the fact that all his friends were taking the exam).

I wouldn't worry about her age as scores are age-standardised so in some ways she benefits from being young for the year if she is bright.

Good luck!
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

In response to your questions...
spytek wrote:
  • 1) Am I starting too early considering her age or is it never too early to begin preparation?
In the past, I would have thought that y4 is too early but considering the fact that the exams have been brought forward and in all likelihood, by the time your dd sits it, it may well be in July. So, no- not too early.
  • 2) How much time should I set aside each week to help her prepare?
2 hours 'teaching' on either a Saturday or a Sunday. Keep the week days light for homework (20 mins max, 3 evenings per week).
  • 3) Anyone recommend any books that will help her baring in mind that she will be applying for King Edward's Grammar schools in Birmingham?
Bond do 'age band' books which are a good idea to use as teaching aids, start off with 9-10 years in Eng, Maths and NVR. Since, Cloze tests are a regular feature, use G. Moore's books which are also age related. Spelling is another area to work on, try Schonell. And if your dd is at a really mediocre school then use Hayden English to polish her grammar.
  • 4) What other material can she look at and explore that will indirectly help her with the 11+?
Educational games. Talk more often. Read aloud and discuss content daily - fiction and non-fiction include newspapers, magazines etc.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly welcome. Thanks.HTH.

P.S.
The question of which books & resources to use is asked so often, perhaps we should have a 'sticky'. :?:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ll-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spytek

Post by spytek »

Hello Everyone

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I'm thinking of investing in the Bonds 11+ 'How to' books as a starting point. Anyone recommend any other teaching guide for parents?

Thanks

Rob
um

Post by um »

CGP have recently launched teaching guides too, which seem a little simpler to use than Bond's.

However, going back to the original query, I understand the child is still in Autumn term, Year 4.
Neither the Bond nor CGP guides are really for this age group; they're more for Year 5.

2 hours teaching plus a total of 1 hour homework, as suggested seems great for Year 5, but heavy for a child who has almost 2 years to go until their examination.
And Birmingham consortium have assured me that they have no plans to move the exam from September.

Yes, by all means do something to ensure basic consolidation of, and confidence in, literacy and maths skills. Ensure your child is reading fluently and regularly, and build their spelling, vocabulary and general grammar/punctuation knowledge. Ensure they know their multiplication tables. But I personally wouldn't start NVR until summer, Year 4.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Slow and steady wins the race.. It's never too early to start and remember home tutoring supplements teaching at school. There can be thirty or forty kids in each class, one teacher can't give everyone the same attention.

Best of luck.
justamum

Post by justamum »

i'd agree with um. Too early for sitting down doing test practice. You will know where her strengths and weaknesses lie. Do stuff informally (eg mental maths or word games to improve vocab) that support her overall education rather than focusing on 11+
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

GL Assessment do some good guides 11+ explained. I have the verbal reasoning book and it is very good

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... oning.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they also do an NVR

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... oning.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Before I forget, junior scrabble is a god send. My child hates reading so scrabble is an excellent supplement.