Are 2013 exams in July?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thetford

Are 2013 exams in July?

Post by thetford »

Are the rumours true? Barely have we recovered from this years changes I keep on hearing that in the Birmingham Consortium the exams are at the end of year 5 in July 2013?
Happy dad

Re: Are 2013 exams in July?

Post by Happy dad »

Only rumour from Birmingham but it is very likely the Wolverhampton, Walsall and Shropshire exam will be earlier next year. A 6th form tutor pretty much told us as much at the Adams open day in July. At least it would mean we could have a summer holiday next year :D
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I asked a similar question and got responses here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 9&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MSD

Post by MSD »

And I think a July exam probably makes sense. Firstly, the schools will have enough time to get the papers marked and send the results well before the October CAF deadline. This year I felt the whole results process was rushed with parents not having enough time to make their minds up.

Secondly, it makes sense to take the test while the children are still at school. Most of them seem to go off the boil after the extended holiday. Moreover, the poor children don't need to put hours and hours of work preparing for the exam when they should be enjoying their well deserved holiday.

MSD
Professor Yaffle

Post by Professor Yaffle »

Interested to hear if anyone knows more about this. DD taking the Newport/Walsall/ Wolverhampton test next year.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

If children are going to take the exam the first week of September they might as well take it at the end of July, before the summer break. It's so hard to get back into work after weeks off.

At least with the exam in July, results in Sep, there are one/two months to revisit schools if needed, rather than this way where the results come out just before half term so you can't revisit schools before the CAF form deadline.
um

Post by um »

The Birmingham consortium examination has been set for Saturday 7 September 2013.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I was referring to rumours about 2014, when my DS should be sitting the exam. It was to help me know when to start doing extra work with him. I usually work for a year so will it be end yr 4 or start yr 5 to start preparation?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

MSD wrote:Secondly, it makes sense to take the test while the children are still at school. Most of them seem to go off the boil after the extended holiday. Moreover, the poor children don't need to put hours and hours of work preparing for the exam when they should be enjoying their well deserved holiday.
And it would level the playing field a bit more - having recently heard of some children who spent most of their summer "holidays" at 11+ boot camps!
Professor Yaffle

Post by Professor Yaffle »

Looks like the rumours were true- at least for the Newport/Walsall/Wolverhampton consortium. Adams have set their exam date for entry in 2014 on the afternoon of 2nd July 2012 :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now