KES Exam, Saturday 12th

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
UmSusu

Re: KES Exam, Saturday 12th

Post by UmSusu »

I confused wrote:A and B were ok but he said that c was really hard and left it. i dont think he has any chance as there were over 700 applications and he did miss on the c maths test.
I don't think your DS is reporting anything different to the other boys that sat the test, so don't worry. If the did well on the rest then that is good. My DS is good at maths but said section c was hard too - and harder than any of Indie papers he did.
UmSusu
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
We're home now!!
Well after gently questioning Ds, he said the following "it's not fair we didn't get to play cricket we had to watch the Simpsons"
As for the exam, same as everyone else maths was ok except for the last few questions, he only gave a couple of them a go!
English ok and vr ok, he answered all of the vr which I'm pleased about as he can be slow at times (just hope answered correctly though!).
On the whole he enjoyed the day.
It was always a long shot for us as we need an AP.
Does anyone now if this test is age standardised like cem exam. I'm assuming not as it hasn't been mentioned, maybe age it's just a consideration if borderline etc!!
One more exam to go but he loved KE from the start so fingers are well and truly crossed.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Hi Lottie

iirc, it is only the VR that is age standardised (but I am not sure even about that) - even so, I think they only look at that score if they are looking at more borderline candidates. The rest is not age standardised as it would be too complicated if they are writing their own papers. I have no idea if they make some allowances based on age at their own discretion when considering candidates but I am afraid I doubt it.

I wonder if they have started interviewing yet? I am trying to put it to the back of my mind as I have no idea why they would contact us before results but I still jump to the phone every time it rings and they probably haven't even finished marking them yet!

Good Luck!
UmSusu
UmSusu
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

I must admit that even though it is highly unlikely Ds will be offered a place I did nearly break my neck running to answer the phone this morning( ****** mortgage advice)...!!
I didn't think exam would be age standardised , grasping at straws for a tiny glimmer of hope:(
The blue letter did say some candidates would be called for interview between mon 21st and fri feb 8th... I wonder how much notice you get?
If called for interview do ds's need to take anything(school reports etc) or is it more of n informal chat about interests , family, why this school etc??
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

What blue letter :shock: I didn't get one! I saw them handing something to drivers but we walked in - is that the one?

If they are interviewing next week then I gues they will be contacted before the end of this week. I have been told they don't need to take anything in but you might want to 'remind' them what their hobbies / interests are in case they get there and say 'TV' :wink: but they just want to talk to them to see what they are like as far as I know. You can't really prep them as they will have heard all the formulaic answers - you just need to trust in who they are but encourage them to talk openly - unless of course you have a DS like mine who was talking to a staff member and when they said they look at reports closely, he just kept repeating that he will have no chance of getting in then! I kept poking him to shut up but he was like a broken disc - he just kept repeating it and thinking he was funny :roll: . I just gave up :?
UmSusu
MaryMcG

Post by MaryMcG »

I thought the blue bit of paper said that the phone calls would start on 21st rather than interviews start then, but don't have it anymore to check!
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
It was the on the parking info blue letter

"Some candidates may be asked for interview between Monday 21 January and Friday 8 February. Results should be received by Friday 15 feb 2013"

Just got to wait, scared to leave the house as can't remember if I put mobile number on form!!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

iirc, some of the earliest people to get a call last year, got it on the Friday and Saturday the week following the exam. So I guess some lucky few will start getting calls at the end of this week!

Hope you get the call Lottie!

UmSusu
UmSusu
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Yes calls usually start at the end of the week so interviews can start early the following week (parents and boys obviously need to organise themselves, inform the primary school etc). Hence a bit surprised at the other thread asking about interview questions. They have to mark the papers first!
MaryMcG

Post by MaryMcG »

They don't hang around do they!!!

Realistically if we get a call it will be a borderline interview. If there is no contact until mid Feb it will feel likes long wait!

Good luck all and let us know if anyone gets a call!!!