I always said I wouldn't appeal.....but!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lottie78

I always said I wouldn't appeal.....but!!!

Post by lottie78 »

Hi all,
All the regulars know my story and I'm unsure of how to proceed!

With a score of 213 my Ds won't get a ke place on Friday. He passed Solihull school and was offered a place but with no bursary it's not an option.
I always said if he doesn't make the cut then that's it, we knew it was a long shot as we only decided to put him for 11 plus last march so basic prep but he'd always been ahead at school and late August baby.

I'd pretty much accepted the outcome of local comp but tonight's parents evening made me even more sure he belongs at gs, I know nothing about appeals, am not a confident speaker and don't know how to proceed.

Ds teacher told me that a couple of weeks ago Ds took last years maths sats paper and scored 100/100, no one at the school scored that in the actual test last may! He is doing level 6 paper this year and Ds teacher is confident he will pass (obviously that remains to be seen). He will also do level 6 reading sat and is expected a high level 5 in writing. I know sats are't the be all and end all but that's all I've got to go on.
Is this enough to go on to start an appeal or should I just accept the comp place he will be allocated on Friday.
To make it worse 3 boys at his school scored above him in ke exam but never come close to him when tested at school! ( this upsets Ds).
Any words of wisdom or advice very gratefully received.
hermanmunster

Re: I always said I wouldn't appeal.....but!!!

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Lottie - where are you appealing for ? Is it the Birmingham KE grammars ?? cos if it is, I think it might be horribly difficult to succeed if previous years are anything to go by .. :(

Here is something KenR wrote about it a couple of years ago:
KenR wrote:Hi Brummum

I'm afraid that B/Ham KE foundation is quite different to appeals in other areas of the country. The criteria for entry is strictly on academic ability as shown in the exam unless there are special circumstances. Exceptional sporting ability will not help.
I'm afraid we get this every year - lots of very bright kids who for whatever reason don't seem to perform to their potential in the 11+ exam.
I have to be honest with you, unless there are particular extreme circumstances for underperformance in the KE 11+ exam in B/Ham there is frankly very little chance of getting through via an appeal. By this I mean something like a severe illness, recent death of a close relative etc etc.
The KE Foundation handles the appeals process quite differently to other LEAs such a Bucks where a significant proportion of appeals are successful. In KE B/Ham is only 3-4 per year that are successful and most of these relate to an appeal to move from one KE school to another
Only 3 Appeals for ALL of the KE Grammars were successful last year:-
Demand for the Schools remained strong and the number of applicants who took the test in November 2009 for entry in September 2010 was 3,781 (up from 3,585 in the previous year). This compares to the highest ever figure of 4,106 applicants for admission in 2001.
The number of admission appeals pursued to a final hearing was 84 compared to 96 in the previous year. Three appeals were allowed (five in the previous year).
You can view the statistics via the Governors Report on the KE Foundation website

http://www.kingedwardsfoundation.co.uk/ ... 9_2010.pdf

You best chance is going to be via the waiting list - given the scores there is a definite chance but don't go for the appeal route unless there are bone-fide reasons for underperformance.

Sorry I can't give you any positive encouragement but it's best you are aware of the facts
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Thanks, yes it is
Maybe that's the reality check we need, I know one boy from Ds current school that was successful on appeal last year, don't know the circumstances though.
It's just so hard to accept :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Lottie - I'd go for it with the knowledge that one of those 3 to 4 might be your appeal.

With that level of achievement it's worth a shot; I would not mention that you are appealing though.
peter5

Post by peter5 »

There is nothing to lose by appealing just don't build up yours or the child's hope too much because you might be disappointed again .
As for Friday's results I would wait until Friday before starting to dismiss the chance of your DC getting a place .There are indication that it might be hard with that score but there are also indications that it might not be so .The exams were much earlier this year giving the children less preparation time and they were just coming off the summer holidays .More children took the exam but quite a few of those were probably using it as a mock exam .
Despite all that has been said ,I think the scores will be lower by a point or two .We cannot judge all by the highest scores as those scores regardless of year are made by only a few .

After reading the admissions section on Birmingham's Admission website I'm sure the Head of Camp Hill was in the know when he said the scores for his school will be higher as the schools are very much involved in the process .He however (according to the poster) explained why it would be higher .If he he had taken that precautionary approach in previous years,then also the cut off would have been higher and would have moved down after the acceptance deadline .
March

Post by March »

Lottie - Have you called Solihull School to explain your dilema? Do they have a waiting list for AP ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now