KES Meeting, 26th February

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
UmSusu

KES Meeting, 26th February

Post by UmSusu »

Is anyone planning to go along to this meeting tonight? What should we be expecting from it? Has anyone been to one of these before?

Should we take DS along?Although it seems to be geared toward parental enquiries, I am thinking yes as I can leave him to see it with new eyes this time - rather than my previous cautious approach.

I also have one more question: on the offer letter, it mentioned DS's exam and interview but made no mention of the school report - is that standard or could it mean the school did not send the report (despite my reminders!)?

UmSusu
UmSusu
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: KES Meeting, 26th February

Post by DIY Mum »

I was contemplating in posting a similar enquiry for KEHS. They have a Creative Curriculum event this Thursday evening and I really would like dd2 to attend (but I'm not sure if KEHS also intended for dc to attend).

Anyone else going? With or without dc :?:
MaryMcG

Post by MaryMcG »

UmSusu, we are going tonight and taking our son. I think it will be really exciting for them and a nice think to do without our other children. I think it will be a real showcase of the school tonight to really persuade those who are undecided!

I'm looking forward to it too.

I'm not sure about the school report, but I would think they would have considered it??
moneypenny1

Post by moneypenny1 »

Hi DIYmum

We will be going to the KEHS curriculum evening and will be taking our DD with us
We have also reserved tickets for their school play matinee performance on 12th March.

:D
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

UmSusu wrote:Is anyone planning to go along to this meeting tonight? What should we be expecting from it? Has anyone been to one of these before?

Should we take DS along?Although it seems to be geared toward parental enquiries, I am thinking yes as I can leave him to see it with new eyes this time - rather than my previous cautious approach.

I also have one more question: on the offer letter, it mentioned DS's exam and interview but made no mention of the school report - is that standard or could it mean the school did not send the report (despite my reminders!)?

UmSusu

It's standard as far as I know. The school report is likely to be used in borderline cases more so than in cases where boys have done well, as your has :) .

We took the whole family along....even though its DS who is going, the family come as a package 8) . Of course, my younger ones are well trained in the art of sitting still and quietly. I can see it may be a dilemma for those with younger children who would get bored but it doesn't last long. Well, that depends on how long the questions go on for. Most of the questions when we went centred around IB, and they've had a great set of results since then so I doubt there would be too much anxiety over IB issues.

A lot of parents I know can't make it to the KEHS curriculum evening as it clashes with other things so they will make separate arrangements.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Just got back ( and we live less than 5 minutes away :oops: ). It was good - the video was funny too. I am not really a fan of 'mingling' situations but it was a good chance to get a few questions out of the way.

I will send my acceptance tomorrow - I don't think I will bother waiting for Friday.

How did others find it?

UmSusu
UmSusu
robotboy

Post by robotboy »

Hi UmSusu,

I was also at KES meeting but left early. Im not sure if it was useful or not as we still can't decide which school is more suitable for our son.
Im not too keen on IB. I wish KES did A levels as well as IB.

But, overall I think Mr C didn't try too hard to sell the school (which is a good thing) and the boys on the video gave me the impression that they love KES.
Grace2DC

Post by Grace2DC »

Same here! we would accept KES without any hesitation if it offers IB as well as A level. We love everything in KES apart from single IB system, as it could be a risk to take at this stage.
Last edited by Grace2DC on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MSD

Post by MSD »

I don't really know enough about IB but one of our friends mentioned that if your child wants to pursue either a Pure Maths or Actuarial Sciences degree the ideal set of subjects required are: Maths, Further Maths and Physics. But IB, unfortunately, doesn't allow the combination of these subjects.

MSD
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now