Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Elbart

Bishop Vesey / Sutton Girls Exam

Post by Elbart »

Hi All,

Just wanted to clarify a few points:

*1. The 11+ exam format for Bishop Vesey / Sutton Girls Exam is multiple choice for VR / NVR, and standard for Maths, correct ?

*2. The VR types are 21 and not 15 types ?

*3. The BV website informs that the VR test 'will be of 30 minutes duration, with a practice test of 10 minutes' - so I presuming that it's 10 minutes for practice plus then 30 minutes for the test. Just ruling out any ambiguity.

The BV website informs us that 'The tests are in the Standard, and not the Multi Choice format..', but I'm sure that I have read on this forum that it is as above - *1.

Thanks in advance.

Elbart
fm

Post by fm »

The websites for Sutton and BV often contradict themselves. Even when you phone the schools, you sometimes get conflicting information. I can tell you what the exams have been for the last 5 years.

1. Maths. Standard. Very similar to NFER pack, only possibly easier as my pupils tend to score 5 more marks on average during the actual test and finish with significant time to spare. They are allowed 50 minutes for 50 questions. Do Bond maths assessment books first. Then any other practice you can locate which is in the 50 question NFER format, before you finally use the NFER maths papers, standard. Bond test papers are harder but I sometimes use them before culminating in NFER.
2. Verbal Reasoning. Standard. 10 minutes practice. 30 minutes to do 45 questions. No idea whether it is 15 or 21 types. I do IPS practice book, IPS papers, AFN papers and finally NFER papers. I also make sure to practise anagrams separately as they always come up. If I have to do more than this because child needs practice I shall use CGP possibly or Walsh (although they are at the hard end). I do not use Bond, either books or papers, as there are too many irrelevant questions in these.
3. Non-verbal. 2 of the 6 types usually appear (codes, matrices, series, odd one out, most similar, analogies). You are allowed 12 minutes for each section of 20 questions. Total mark 40. I'd practise Bond assessment papers, Learning Together, AFN, Bond papers and finally NFER papers. Should your child be still struggling, post-AFN (less than 50 out of 60), you might consider slotting in others. Bond papers are generally harder than NFER, apart from TEST A of the pack, but are still good practice.

The exam is very predictable so you have to score quiet well to pass this exam. Not necessary 90% in everything but a good enough combination. E.G. 40/50 in maths, 35/45 in VR and 34/40 in non-verbal would give you last score to get in.

Hope this helps.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Thanks FM for your informative reply.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

With regard the VR, although it is standard (writing your answers on the question sheet rather than a separate answer sheet where you choose A,B,C,D, or E, i.e multiple choice), there will be a few standard questions that will have multiple answers to choose from and circling it on the question sheet ... so learning the method of elimination from the choices given would be useful to learn too.
fm

Post by fm »

Standard VR does not tend to have any multiple choice questions. I always practise standard with my pupils and you would be advised to do so the vast majority of the time.
In the final week or two of preparation, I may go over a multiple choice paper just in case the Sutton exam suddenly changes so the children know how to use the answers available for alphabetic codes but I would not be overly concerned if it does. A child used to a diet of standard papers will take a multiple choice in his or her stride (but not vice-versa).
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

.... sounds like a plan to me. Thank you FM.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

FM, what extra resources do you use to practice anagrams for VR ?

Thanks Elbart
fm

Post by fm »

I make them up. Take a sentence.

e.g. The boy liked reading comics on Saturdays.
The boy liked reading ICCSOM on Saturdays.

The girl strolled down the road without a care in the world.
The girl LEDOLRTS down the road without a care in the world.

I wore an extra REUMPJ when it was cold.

Children often find anagrams hard. Occasionally you do get children who can instantly rearrange the letters without any clues, but with the vast majority of children I have tutored, you have to get them to laterally think as to what children like reading or how do people walk if they are feeling happy. Even then you have to make sure they cross the letters out to ensure they spell the word correctly.

If you pm me with your e-mail I can probably dig out some I have used in the past.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

.... that seems straightforward enough. I have pm'd you. Thanks for the advice. Elbart
SharonB

Re: Bishop Vesey / Sutton Girls Exam

Post by SharonB »

just wondering fm if you do private tutoring for bishop vesey?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now