Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KenR

Updated entry scores over 9 years

Post by KenR »

I've updated sticky on the top of this section with the latest last entry score

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 603#p74603

Also shown the average age standardised score per paper or section or the same period so you can see the trends (which is upwards)
peter5

Re: Updated entry scores over 9 years

Post by peter5 »

Thanks again,
Would the scores for previous years be before or after the waiting list had kicked in ?
KenR

Post by KenR »

The previous years are generally after the waiting list has kicked in but there isn't usually much movement in the scores - usually max 1 point.

A lot of course depends how many over PAN the sets for the number of offers.

For example for KECHB for Sept 2006 entry they made 124 offers against a PAN of 93, whereas for Sept 2004 entry they made 114 offers against the same PAN.

I have been advised that typically anywhere between 20-30 decline the offer of a place. So in Sept 2004 they would have to have 21 rejections before going to the waiting list but in 2005 there would have to be 31 rejections. Hence the reason why waiting list movement is slow and the pass mark of the last entry doesn't always drop.

Also remember that late entrants (say moving into the area) can be moved into the waiting list, in some cases directly to the top depending on their score in a late test.
sss

Post by sss »

Hi KenR
I would be interested to hear your reason why cut offs have risen so much this time?
Your experienced opinions are always most welcome.
KenR

Post by KenR »

I would be interested to hear your reason why cut offs have risen so much this time?
My purely personal view is for 2 reasons:-

Firstly, due to the economic climate and the cost of top independent school fees. KES/KEHS now charge £10,620 per annum. That's a lot of money in tough times and the KE grammars (and BV/SCG) offer an excellent education. Is the difference really worth £74,340 over 7 years?

Secondly, I think having an early test and early results has made some parents realise that a B/Ham KE grammar is an realistic option and so they have put the schools on top of the preference form. Previously some parents might have had limited ambitions and just focused on looking at good comprehensive schools rather than considering the grammars.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Also by definition if more people are taking the test then the standardised score required to be among the top x candidates (which is an absolute value, not a %age) will rise.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now