waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moseleymum

Re: waiting list

Post by moseleymum »

Shouldn't happen but it does, every year, over and over again unfortunately :( .

KES requires a deposit from those paying full fees (do AP holders have to pay a deposit?), of course people don't want to lose money, as Grace said, but often they don't inform the Grammars. I am sure I read on here that some schools only find out that certain children aren't coming on the first day of term in September. It was here from mike
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 9&p=295980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In any case, there can be movement until the first day unless schools are informed, seems very unfair :(
houseful

Post by houseful »

AP places have to pay a reduced acceptance fee.

Wouldn't either school find out as both schools are part of the KE Foundation? Surely the foundation could then ask for a decision either way.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

We accepted both for reasons described last year around this time, and yes, both schools know that you've done that and eventually they will politely ask for a firm decision. I imagine when it gets to the first day of term before the school finds out, the child must have gone to a school other than a KE.

There's no acceptance fee for AP places, or wasn't until recently.

Mike
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I can see the reasons for accepting both places, covering both bases.

However, I believe it is also very selfish to keep those on the waiting list wandering will they or won't they. Put yourself in their shoes, they must be in a state of total limbo. It's bad enough waiting for the letter, but even worse to have no definitive answer.

In a similar ish example, my DD was at a private nursery and was offered a place at the school nursery. Within a week of the offer letter, we had declined the place as we didn't think it was fair to keep someone waiting in limbo who desperately wanted the place.

We have done the same with our DS who is 2. The offer letters come out in April. We applied to cover both bases just in case circumstances changed. They haven't, so as so. As offer is received we will decline.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there was a particularly bad year for this s few years back when the credit crunch hit ... many people hung onto state school places, and were prepared to loose a terms if they found out by September that things were getting worse and they weren't going to be able to commit to the 7 years.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

nervousmom wrote:I can see the reasons for accepting both places, covering both bases.

However, I believe it is also very selfish to keep those on the waiting list wandering will they or won't they. Put yourself in their shoes, they must be in a state of total limbo. It's bad enough waiting for the letter, but even worse to have no definitive answer.
I think you're assuming that these are all wealthy people selfishly holding a GS place for no good reason because they will eventually go to KES/KEHS anyway. There certainly are some people doing this, but I suspect most in this position are not wealthy and will eventually give up on the KES/KEHS place and take the GS place, ergo no movement on the waiting list (there is usually very little anyway, although there may be more this year if there is less over-offering).

As is well known, when people turn down assisted places at KES/KEHS the money becomes available to people further down the queue. It's therefore entirely sensible for people who applied for an AP, but were offered a full-fee place, to hang on and hope that an AP will eventually materialise, thereby freeing up a GS place.

If you were somehow able to insist on these people making an early decision, it would inevitably have to be in favour of the GS place - as it will eventually be in most cases anyway. The situation will pretty much resolve itself at Easter when people have to make the decision or pay a term's fees; however, it won't free as many places as you might hope.

Mike
Sean_uk

Post by Sean_uk »

difficult one but had to decline KEHS place as was offered full fee place and simply not able to fund it through salary - did consider re-mortgaging but thought it unfair on the other DC's. Thought long and hard about it, decided that, although KEHS would offer a unique 'private educationanal' experience probably won't be that much different from CHG and therefore I have confidence DD will be fine wherever she attends - she said that she prefers the hustle bustle of a 'proper' school - good on her..

However, simply a rational, economic decision and taken all the emotion out of it. Good luck to whichever parent gets her place and she will have deserved it.

S
Indefinate

Post by Indefinate »

By the way any 1 out there thinks I'm holding 2 places that is not the case :- as I have already accepted & declined within the time limit : yes it would be unfair to other kids out there / I would not be too happy if I was in that boat / & nor am I a selfish parent.

It's my child's future yes hard decision to make out of 2 great schools- but that's why I hope I made the right choice / anyhow a bright child will excel where ever they may be

I just want to know if extra tuition is required at other gs, would that be the same for kes & ch - the reason I ask about ch my dnephew will be in yr 7

Pls advice