Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:24 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 21
Long story short. DS was marginal on his exams. So we weren't surprised when we received the offer letters from Birmingham City council with him being rejected by his 1st choice grammar school and accepted by a local comprehensive.

However, today we get another offer letter from Birmingham CC stating that he's got his first choice grammar school. Looked at the BCC website to confirm. Website isn't working :(

Anyone ever hear of this happening before? Weird thing is both letters are dated the same. I was under the impression we were only going to get one letter. We received one on Saturday and one on Monday. I'm going to email them and phone.

Also, could someone confirm that we send the slip directly to the school. As I'm going to accept both :lol: Can't hurt can it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 pm
Posts: 124
We had the Birmingham council letter on Saturday but today I received a letter and reply slip from the school too; it was the school we had already been allocated though! You could phone the grammar school directly as I think they have a list of pupils who have been allocated spaces. Very confusing! I think I'd accept both too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Posts: 2237
I think I'd accept the offer I like best and shred the other one. It never happened.

Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 659
Surely is can hurt the child who would otherwise have taken up the place you don't want?

As Amarstone said, phone up the Grammar, say you want to visit or something, just to confirm your child is on their list. Return this slip ASAP to the school in question. All the Grammars send their own letter out too so your should be getting another letter form them if the place is valid, maybe?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8200
Location: Buckinghamshire
mike1880 wrote:
I think I'd accept the offer I like best and shred the other one. It never happened.

Sorry, Mike, but absolutely not! If the other offer turns out to be the correct one and mashk fails to accept it, the child could be left without a school place.

mashk, I would endeavour to get written confirmation from Admissions and/or the schools as to which is the correct offer. If that is not provided with absolute certainty before the deadline then I think you should do as you have suggested - accept both offers and hold on to them until it is completely sorted out.

It would obviously be unfortunate if that means another child has to wait longer for their own place, but you have to look after your own interests first.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 21
Quick update. Just phoned BCC.

Basically, someone dropped out of HG, we were on the waiting list and that place was offered to us and the local comprehensive was withdrawn.

Still not celebrating yet, not until I see the confirmation letter from HG. But I'll be sending the return slip, recorded delivery tomorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 208
moseleymum wrote:
All the Grammars send their own letter out too so your should be getting another letter form them if the place is valid, maybe?

Thanks for that as I wondered why KECHG sent us a slip to reply with, to confirm our place, when we already have accepted our place on the LEA website.


Last edited by sss on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:55 pm
Posts: 7
Hi All, finding myself in a similar situation. In October, DD got feedback that she would be offered a place in both Newport and Wolverhampton Girls. Since we live in Telford on the CAF Forms Newport was our first choice and Wolverhampton 2nd. We did receive a letter from the Telford and Wrekin LA on saturday that Newport was offered while the Wolverhampton and the rest were not offered, which is what we were expecting. Only to get the post today with Wolverhampton Girls admission welcoming package for her.
We are yet to get Newports admission package. But just a bit confused


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:25 pm
Posts: 463
mashk wrote:
Quick update. Just phoned BCC.

Basically, someone dropped out of HG, we were on the waiting list and that place was offered to us and the local comprehensive was withdrawn.

Still not celebrating yet, not until I see the confirmation letter from HG. But I'll be sending the return slip, recorded delivery tomorrow.


Nice to hear!

:mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:45 pm
Posts: 110
Congratulations mashk!!! I hope you get that letter really soon so you can start celebrating.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mummy123 and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016