Movement on waiting lists?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muminbrum

Re: Movement on waiting lists?

Post by muminbrum »

Congratulations Rubyfour. Although your wish to help someone else out by deciding quickly in commendable, personally I would wait until the Easter holidays are over and go and look around both schools on a normal working day with your DD if possible. All other things being equal, I would go for the closer/easier transport option which will make all the difference on a cold wet dark winter day. We're an all-male household so don't have any experience of the two schools! Fingers crossed for KEHGS - do you know where you are on the waiting list?
rubyfour

Post by rubyfour »

Thanks minibrum. We are 12th on the waiting list for KEH. I haven't recently checked though. We decided to go with queen Mary's as it is closer and has the green bus option too. My daughtar really likes the school after reading the prospectus. It's always been a favorite of hers too. I also like the idea of it being a smaller school. It had its first intake of 112 pupils. It was 96 prior to this asapose to sutton girls which has a intake of 150 girls at year 7.

Thanks for your kind advice!
Bubbles44

Post by Bubbles44 »

Wonderful news Rubyfour. Congratulations!!!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi rubyfour,

Congratulations for your two offers! :D Have you decline one of them yet? Because I would like to echo muminbrum! :wink: Visit the two schools and study carefully the travel options for SCGSG. You can’t judge a school according to the prospectus. :wink: Maybe look also at the location of the school in term of safety. I have heard a sad thing about the area around QM for girls (QM for boys seems in a better area), but I have no idea if it is true or not.
Take your time to weigh your options carefully. But it is true that travel time is an important factor to take in consideration.
Best wishes to your daughter in her new school.
rubyfour

Post by rubyfour »

I think I did act in haste. I have declined offer for sutton, as getting there and back would have been an issue. I have always heard positive things about queen Mary's. thanks for informing me about the area outside. However that would also be an issue at handsworth. I'm glad you have mentioned it as I will make sure me and my husband are there to do pick ups and drop offs.
peter5

Post by peter5 »

QM girls is located a few minutes walk from Walsall Town Centre (about two minutes from the library ).There are hundreds of children attending these schools ,how many ''safety'' related incidents have anyone ever heard about ?

I don't like the unnecessary scare mongering it is totally uncalled for .
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Same goes for Handsworth. The most dangerous thing most children do is cross the road or travel in a car - 60% of all childhood deaths. And I can't see anyone suggesting that children don't travel to school!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Sorry if I said anything inappropriate. I was just trying to help... :oops:
Bubble

Post by Bubble »

Hi Rubyfour,

We were also in the position of choosing between these schools and living half way between both the travelling was not an issue for us - we have gone for QM girls too. My daughter loved both schools when we visited but QM was her favourite. Knowing a number of girls who have been there, they all love it too. Both schools are equally as good and the decision was hard one, but I know it was the right choice for us. Good luck to your DD and well done.
um

Post by um »

I have never had any trouble or actually ever felt intimidated when in places such as Alum Rock, Aston, or Handsworth.
In fact the only time I have ever been mugged - and had my handbag taken - was in Sutton Coldfield town centre, and the only times I have ever encountered racial abuse were in Solihull....
I think it is a good idea for a child in any area to be aware that they should stay with others and remain in relatively busy areas - not walking down deserted alleyways alone, for example - and to know what to do and how to call for/get help if something goes wrong. But I am afraid that stepping out the house is fraught with dangers.

Unfortunately I live on a busy and somewhat confusingly signposted road where cars regularly speed, and a 9 year old girl was hit by a car last Autumn almost exactly outside my front door. At first it appeared she would not survive - her injuries were horrific - but then I found out that although she had suffered brain injuries, the hospital expected her to fully recover. I was very shaken for a while - in fact the area was cordoned off and the blood (and my towels and blankets that I'd rushed out with) remained across the road for a full day as a reminder. I couldn't bear the thought of my boys going out or crossing any road after that, but I am afraid they have to go out and go to school - and I have to let them. Even if I was able to drop them off myself (I can't, as I have three younger ones at nursery/school in the opposite direction) I know that my older boys need and crave the independence of travelling alone. We really have no option as parents, but to equip them as best we can, and trust that (like 99.9% of children) they will be OK.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now