QMHS or KEHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

brendan

Re: QMHS or KEHS

Post by brendan »

Hi Folks

Sorry for the long delay as I haven't been able to reply to any of the posts. My dd got offered a bursary for KEHS and like Mike said the discount will be dependent upon parental income. Therefore unless your household income is less then£19k then there will be some fees to pay.

I have been networking and speaking to parents who already have children at the school and I was told that if a parent comes into some form of financial difficulty during preceding years, the school will ask to withdraw your child and find an alternative school. God fobid this never happens, but if it ever did, then the choice of grammar school will no longer be there.

Even though I have accepted the KEHS offer I still get withdrawal symptons, whereby I think it might be a safer option to opt for the grammar school (as still not too late). My dd has been offered sutton coldfield grammar school for girls. A parent recently told me that the academic acheivement at KEHS is most likely on the same par as grammar school and the extra money being paid is for the exceptionla pastoral care. I would have to pay around 8k and that's alot just for the better pastoral care.

Any advise ?

I am going through phases where I think it might be better to choose SGSG
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi Brendan,

I will just give my view, but I know that some other people are really pro-private education and I hope they will give their own view. Personally, I do not know what is the best as I never had a child in a private school in the UK, but I do feel that if it is a bit difficult for you to pay 8K par year, it might be wiser to abstain from KEHS, especially if your DD might lose her place if you are unable to pay in the coming years. Better to save up for her university years!!

My DD has had wonderful years at SCGSG and she is now finishing her third year at university.

Frankly, many years ago, before she continued on the sixth form, I heard for the first time about KEHS (you see my ignorance about private schools here! :oops: ) and that it is one of the best girls’ school in the country. Our financial circumstances didn’t make me think further about this option and my DD continued to thrive at SCGSG and obtained a place at university in a very competitive course. She is now finishing her third year and is so joyful while helpful and hardworking that it is a joy for me to see. I do feel so much indebted to SCGSG!

There is another point that you may also consider. I have heard from a doctor that one of his friend hasn’t been able to study medicine because he was coming from a private school, where he was ‘too much’ spoonfed instead of learning by himself to struggle to get his knowledge. Frankly, that story did left me a bit speechless, but I trust this person and know that this anecdote is sadly just true. I would guess though that this doesn’t apply to the top private schools, as many are the pool where students at Oxbridge are chosen from...
Sadly, I have not enough information on this matter to pass on. I hope some people will react on the forum and explain things further...

I do feel that sadly, many things are not said and that in fact the choice of school is a minefield with which you live for several years after your choice!

Wishing your DD the best of luck. :D
champagnemoet

Post by champagnemoet »

hi Brendan. having to pay 8k isn't much of a reduction and of course there will be other fees.If it has been playing on you mind that much about the financial aspects then maybe you should take notice of your fears .Only you know about your finances and whether the next 7 years of fee paying would or might be an issue. You are very lucky that daughter has a grammar place also they are excellent schools.i guess you have to weigh up the distance,results daughters comments and fees. Have you been to kehs open days and dance performance in the PAC? what do you feel the school has to offer?
I have recently spent a lot of time at kehs for different reasons and I have never seen so many happy girls .I wish you well im sure you will make the right decision for you and your daughter
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If you already have a bursary, as I believe you do, then I think I'm right in saying that you will be given whatever financial assistance you qualify for from year to year. If your income reduces then you will pay less, if it increases you will have to pay more. Assistance is usually calculated from your previous year's income, but if you have a sudden reduction in income the Foundation can switch you to "in-year assessment" in which case it's calculated from your predicted income for the forthcoming year and corrected at the end of the year (or even as you go along, if it changes again).

If you're worried about this stuff, phone the Foundation and talk to Mrs Andronikou. The Foundation staff are quite probably the nicest people in the world in my experience (dealing with the Foundation is a genuine pleasure :D ) and will be happy to explain things. And no, I don't work for the Foundation!

Mike
brendan

Post by brendan »

Thank you for all your comments.

I have made an appointment to see the bursor and will discuss my concerns. Following this meeting I will make a definite decision. :)
Bubbles44

Post by Bubbles44 »

Good luck with your meeting Brendan. I hope it helps to make your decision a little easier.