CEM Style Mock Exams suitable for Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
eleven plus exams

CEM Style Mock Exams suitable for Birmingham

Post by eleven plus exams »

Details of Eleven Plus Exams' summer 2013 mock exams timetable can be found here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... mock-exams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Papers have been specifically created to provide practice for the CEM 11 plus exam.
There are limited places and early booking is advised.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: CEM Style Mock Exams suitable for Birmingham

Post by DIY Mum »

What information is given in the feedback report to parents?

Do we receive our dc's answer paper or is it as mysterious as the cem exam? :)
dfb

Post by dfb »

DIY Mum wrote: What information is given in the feedback report to parents?

Do we receive our dc's answer paper or is it as mysterious as the cem exam? :)
good question, also as far as i can see there is no centre in Birmingham where these mocks are taken ! I am amazed if with this much successful forum they only have mock centre in Harrow ! and if there is another one , its not easy to find on this website.
Sharm123

Post by Sharm123 »

Hi my dd sits the Birmingham CEM this year. Please can someone advise on the mock exams. There seem to be so many people conducting mocks. Tudor house etc. also lot of confusion on the validity of people conducting them. Please can some one tell whic is the recommended mock for Birmingham and when is advertised how much etc??? Thank you. :roll:
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Hi..

DS1 and DS2 both sat mocks. DS1 with T house and DS2 with K S O L. They are a good practise but didn't bare any significance to the actual exam, nor did the results! My advice is, sit one only, just as a practice. Don't pay too much attention to the results either!

Edit to add I don't know which practice/practise is the correct one to use! :lol:
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

so what's the point of sitting any then? :cry: :cry:

In my opinion, practise with a whole variety of papers from WH smiths and Waterstones increasing in difficulty as the exams near. Recap areas of weakness with either with a tutor or DIY
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

My girl sat mocks with K * * L three years ago now and my older boy this time round. I found it helpful for both of them to see what areas I needed to work on. With the boy it highlighted that his maths was in a bit of a pickle. Both came out borderline in their mocks and scored highly enough to gain grammar school places, but not spectacularly so (and my boy didn't make a good enough score for the KE consortium). So I think they had them sussed about right. They both sat 3 mocks starting in March, which helped me see how they were progressing. There was a steady rise in their scores which helped me to see that the extra input they'd had was having an effect.

I thought the experience of taking an exam with lots of other children under time pressure was helpful and helped me know where to concentrate on tuition/practice. I thought that KL were very professional and helpful and was happy with what was provided. It was a pointer, especially in my daughter's case, where I had no real idea of whether she had any chance of passing.
reeyah

Re: CEM Style Mock Exams suitable for Birmingha

Post by reeyah »

sbarnes wrote:so what's the point of sitting any then? :cry: :cry:

In my opinion, practise with a whole variety of papers from WH smiths and Waterstones increasing in difficulty as the exams near. Recap areas of weakness with either with a tutor or DIY

Sorry sbarnes, I totally disagree with the paper upon paper method that everyone goes on about. It's a tedious waste of time. Neither of my boys were remotely interested in sitting down doing such cumbersome work. With DS1, I panicked as I thought it was essential that he did the papers but he did ok in the end regardless.

The CEM exam weeds out the naturally talented. A few papers, yes. Making them do it day after day just isn't worth the effort.

To answer your question about Mocks, I had stated that it is for practise.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

DS did two mocks with K**L and I thought that the experience was really helpful, being able to undergo something similar to an actual exam was invaluable - by the time the actual exam came around, he was pretty relaxed.

Also, we were able to see that he was progressing - which was useful.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

reeyah, one size does not fit all;

we did about 10 papers in total on the journey. It was more the general principles that were covered. To this day, I have no idea as to what questions came up.

The CEM exam weeds out the heavily tutored child; the naturally intelligent with minimal preparation sails through. That's the consensus of opinion.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now