2013 exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AK loving Dad

Re: 2013 exam

Post by AK loving Dad »

Hello everyone,

Based on previous years, I think the QM Walsall (boys) raw score is out of 227. Does anyone know what sort of scores (ideally what is the lowest score) that was made an offer?

Thanks
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Wolves mum wrote:Wow! That's a lot of boys!
That is as nothing compared to how many will take the KE exams. I think last year it was around 4500 boys and girls.
MSD

Post by MSD »

AK loving Dad wrote:Hello everyone,

Based on previous years, I think the QM Walsall (boys) raw score is out of 227. Does anyone know what sort of scores (ideally what is the lowest score) that was made an offer?

Thanks
Here is one of the scores for QM Walsall boys for last year. You can deduce further from this.

Raw Scores
Verbal: 87 Mathematics:42 Non Verbal: 32

Standardised Scores
Verbal: 117 Mathematics: 134 Non Verbal: 125

Weighted Score
Total Weighted Standardised Score: 371

Rank in Order of Merit: 35

MSD
um

Post by um »

Queen Mary's High (Girls) said in their letter that 900 girls were taking the exam at their school. Obviously other girls would have taken it at Wolverhampton and so on...

I think that giving parents their child's 'ranking' is far less helpful than giving their standardised score, because so many children from Birmingham and beyond will have taken the Walsall exam as either practice or back-up, yet their first choices will be Birmingham Grammar Schools.
So there will probably be hundreds of children who will ultimately turn down a potential place there due to the distance.

Remember that traditionally, the Walsall exam was in December, not July...

Last year I know one parent who almost didn't put their child down for QM as they appeared to have such a low ranking, yet they still gained a place at QMGS in the end.
peter5

Post by peter5 »

Over 800 took it last year according to the head teacher recently ,if 900 is the amount who took it this year,the increase is not as was expected .
I think the ranking system is a good one .This year we worked out that the last ranked place would be about 310 and we were correct .We consider the last ranked in the previous years (268) when QM was not part of a consortium and assume that joining consortium would affect the ranking as some people would tick all schools on the consortium check-list . I don't see the ranking rising sharply because of the 70 extra applications .
unpanickydad

Post by unpanickydad »

Hi was there a cloze in the exam this year for comprehension? My daughter says there was not any cloze in there....has she failed to finish or left something out :roll: ?
um

Post by um »

As some children have yet to sit the 'late' exam, which will be exactly the same as the one sat on 2 July, it is not possible to post details of the exam on the forum -or to send via pm.

However it is fair to say that, for many years, all CEM examinations have included a cloze test.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

When do the late people take the exam?
Professor Yaffle

Post by Professor Yaffle »

Hi Wolves mum

I'm not sure exactly when the late test is this year but I seem to remember that last year there was a late test after the results were out in October, possibly as late as December. HTH
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now