Induction Day for the new Year 7 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moseleymum

Induction Day for the new Year 7 2013

Post by moseleymum »

So, how was everyone's drop off this morning, whether directly at the schools, bus stops or train stations?

How were your children? Excited? Nervous?
moseleymum

Re: Induction Day for the new Year 7 2013

Post by moseleymum »

My daughter said "See ya!" And ran in excited! No hug, no tears, no nerves, just very happy. Despite getting there twenty minutes earlier than we were told, it was packed. Very well organised though.
champagnemoet

Post by champagnemoet »

hi Moseley mum and all other parents dropping off children for induction day.my daughter was ok until we sat in car park
30 mins early :oops: :oops: the nerves really kicked in then :( :( had to remind her that all of the girls will be feeling same and that when ceremony starts at 2pm she will be skipping on to stage :) :)
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Very very very excited. Got on the Green Bus no problem. Hope he knows where to get off on the way back.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Yes, going to have to figure out the best way back home, but the schools are very helpful with this.

My friends daughter was in tears and didn't want to go in, poor thing. I think induction day makes everything seem "real", finally, after months of expectation.

All the usual worries I.e making friends, who to sit with at lunch, but its a learning curve for them all. I put a bag of sweets in my daughters bag (probably not allowed but anyway.... :) ) and told her that if she really didn't have anything to say, she could just pass them around! She'll probably be known at the girl with the sweets for her entire time there, but I told her its best to be remembered for something rather than nothing!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Went off smoothly . DS got green bus to FW . Good thing is he has 4 second cousins who go there and he got the bus with them. One of them text her mom when they arrived and to say DS was with his year.

Also had txt off DS a little while ago. Having a great time and has made some friends already.

He will get bus back with his cousins so they'll make sure he's on the right bus, so that takes some of the worry out of it for us!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Hi m/m,glad it went ok. Which school did you pick then?

DS seemed quite reluctant and withdrawn, which is not like him at all. KES had their admission ceremony last week and he was taken aback by the amount of people that already knew someone. KES organised an extra induction today for boys who were the only ones from their school which was a nice touch. I am hoping he will come back in a different mood.

Very organised though: drop off at the gates and KES boys waiting to take him in.

Am worried about him though ( and I have never worried about him before) :(
UmSusu
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

Dropped DS off at KE Aston with another boy he knows. They were quickly taken in groups to the hall and he was chatting with some of the other boys, so this was encouraging. He has to get the Green Bus home and like Happy Dad I just hope he gets off at the right stop! :D
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Well, I wrote a long reply and it got deleted! So here goes again!
champagnemoet wrote:hi Moseley mum and all other parents dropping off children for induction day.my daughter was ok until we sat in car park
30 mins early :oops: :oops: the nerves really kicked in then :( :( had to remind her that all of the girls will be feeling same and that when ceremony starts at 2pm she will be skipping on to stage :) :)

I am sure your DD was ok by 2pm. How did it go?
nervousmom wrote:Went off smoothly . DS got green bus to FW . Good thing is he has 4 second cousins who go there and he got the bus with them. One of them text her mom when they arrived and to say DS was with his year.

Also had txt off DS a little while ago. Having a great time and has made some friends already.

He will get bus back with his cousins so they'll make sure he's on the right bus, so that takes some of the worry out of it for us!
At least you got a text from someone. My DD didn't bother :oops:
UmSusu wrote:Hi m/m,glad it went ok. Which school did you pick then?

DS seemed quite reluctant and withdrawn, which is not like him at all. KES had their admission ceremony last week and he was taken aback by the amount of people that already knew someone. KES organised an extra induction today for boys who were the only ones from their school which was a nice touch. I am hoping he will come back in a different mood.

Very organised though: drop off at the gates and KES boys waiting to take him in.

Am worried about him though ( and I have never worried about him before) :(
Hi UmSusu. After taking advice from a friend with daughters in both KEHS and CHG, fm and others, decided that all the schools are much of a muchness so went with the closest grammar I.e CHG.

We had already ruled out KEHS after going around again after results, despite it being next door to my sons school and therefore very convenient.

As for the previous CHG v KEVIHS dilemma, I managed to change preference to CHG a week after deadline without a problem. As soon as I changed preference, DD was completely on board and happy. Made me wonder why she was pushing for KEVIHS at all :roll: in any case, everyone is happy and the drop off today was so easy that I feel it was the right choice. As it happens, no one in her year at primary chose KEVIHS so it made everything easier.
orianagirl wrote:Dropped DS off at KE Aston with another boy he knows. They were quickly taken in groups to the hall and he was chatting with some of the other boys, so this was encouraging. He has to get the Green Bus home and like Happy Dad I just hope he gets off at the right stop! :D
Hope he's home safely by now! :D
Last edited by moseleymum on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Well, DD came home ecstatic and buzzing! She's got her little group/gang/posse together (who knows if it will be the same group by Christmas :roll: 8) ). It went very well but she said needed more time to chill out and chat with the others. It was quite a full day, with sample lessons, getting to know each other games and time with her new teacher. She even ate the food :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now