WGHS result

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moseleymum

Re: WGHS result

Post by moseleymum »

Yes I checked the last column already :wink: Thought it was interesting because of the claims being made from it, hence pointing out how "badly" a top school such as CHB was being portrayed :wink:
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

moseleymum wrote:Yes I checked the last column already :wink: Thought it was interesting because of the claims being made from it, hence pointing out how "badly" a top school such as CHB was being portrayed :wink:

Well I was immensely happy at first to see DS school KEAS before KECHB... Oh well! :wink:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

But another way of looking at it would be that the last column is only telling you how selective the school is while the one before is telling you about the overall quality of teaching... :D

There are lies, damned lies and statistics...and then there are league tables...
cookeysplice

Post by cookeysplice »

Oh Dear !

The more I read the worse I feel !

I am told a standardised score of 339 means 20 % got higher - well that is 170 ( based approx on 850 sitting the test ). There are 108 places...... I naively thought the " strongly advise" letters would be to persons scoring enough to get in with the only reason of not confiming being waiting for the CAF and ranking. I now know that is probably not the case. A friend asked a sixth former at WGHS who said 400 letters had gone out inviting to the open day who were " strongly advised" to put WGHS as first choice.

I guess I am looking for someone to give me more positive feedback. This time is so stressful and to have to wait until March is positively cruel. I have tried to read up about ss and how it may work but I only know it relates to age ( my D is 11 in early October)

Much needed advice please
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Well for a start that's 20% of all who took the test - which will include boys, and some who were only doing it as a Birmingham mock and/or as a "plan B" (probably more of those this year due to the early date). Once you've discounted those it doesn't sound as bad.
Daffodil3969

Post by Daffodil3969 »

Hi I think that 339 when last years lowest score admitted was 297 seems fairly hopeful? My understanding of the letter system this year is that the strongly urge letters have been sent to everyone who reached the required standard deemed to be of grammar school ability and not simply sent to those within PAN. The cut off for each school is different, last year was 301 for Adams grammar but this year it looks like only those with over 309 have been invited to apply. There is no indication of how many letters each school have sent out over there actual places or how long waiting lists (which are incorporated into the numbers of letters sent )might be.

Naively I think 400 letters seems a lot when the range of ability of those taking it seems to be between 200 and 400, but maybe that is the case? And of course there will be girls from wolves and surrounds who will go on to accept Thomas Telford or Newport girls High ( whose cut off is higher at 318) so I still think you're ok. I know of a number of people who interpreted the letter as you have and have been celebrating wildly!

Incidentally I went to wghs and it was lovely!

Good luck.
Rupy

Post by Rupy »

Dear Cookiesplice,

I know it's easier said than done, but please don't despair :( You are right 400 seems quite high that were invited to attend the WGH open day. However I bet if you break it down, you would find hundreds probably scored between 297 and say eg 320, but as you go up the scores, there are less clusters, so say eg a score of 390 plus, there would be fewer girls who achieved this score.
I agree with you March seems like a long wait but prior to this parents used to fill in the CAF form BEFORE pupils sat the entrance test and had rankings which doesn't help if you are not in the first 108.

HTH
Rupy
MSD

Post by MSD »

It won't be uncommon to send 400 letters out. If you look at last year's entry for QM Boys, places were successfully offered to candidates ranked around 350, event though the total number of places available were around 100. I don't know the exact figures though.

So roughly 1 in 3.5 accepted a place and the rest rejected it due to various reasons.

MSD
girl-friday

Post by girl-friday »

Please also remember last years score that went down to 297 points could of been a one off as well and not to be repeated this year. It could be be places are offered to the first 108 in March 2014 and only 20 candidates turn it down. Therefore, the list only would only go down to 128th place. I know we all live in hope,
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

If you look at the KE results page http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =11&t=7148, you'll see that scores have never previously risen by more than 3 on a standardised score of 100, which would translate to 9 on the scores given for the Wolves/Walsall consortium. So a rise of more than this is very unlikely BUT possible. I'm hoping it won't happen either, as we only have a cushion of 12 marks above last year's last successful entry.