Private Kind Edward's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Natalie74

Private Kind Edward's

Post by Natalie74 »

As I've mentioned, my son didn't score enough to get into our first choice school, Camp Hill :( He scored 220. Was just thinking about the private KE's. I actually have paid the £25 enterance exam fee for him to sit it in January (funded place, no way I could afford those fees) But wondering wether to put him through all that again if he didn't score high enough to get into CH. Do you think it would be very much harder than the text he sat back in September?
moseleymum

Re: Private Kind Edward's

Post by moseleymum »

Nice typo! It's never been called Kind Edwards :wink: :lol:
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

moseleymum wrote:Nice typo! It's never been called Kind Edwards :wink: :lol:
Blimey - I wish it was called that - we'd all get fully-funded places there.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Not at all.. I know someone who scored 212, but passed for KES. it's an entirely different type of exam.. traditional VR, written English and maths.

Good luck!

I did laugh at 'kind' :lol: :lol: :lol:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Reeyah posted faster than me...but I post my message anyway as I took the time to write it down...and as umsusu knows, I am a slow writer! :wink:

Hi Natalie,

The test at Kind Edwards is not harder but different: NVR, English composition were not in the CEM exams… and of course there is also maths and English comprehension. You certainly received a sheet with all the info about the exam after sending your cheque.

If your ds does very well, he could get an AP (depending on your family’s income) or even a scholarship or both of them. Your son shouldn’t be disheartened by the act that he didn’t do well enough for a place at CHB; that does not mean he can’t get an AP or scholarship at KES. Things just don’t work that way as anybody can be affected by stress or fatigue, or whatever (even soemthing as stupid as a sudden urge to go to the loo in the middle of the exams! :lol: ).

And don’t forget that not obtaining a place at CHB is not the end of the world. There are other excellent and very nice grammar schools in Brumland or beyond. :D So well done to your DS! You should be very proud of him! :D
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Hahahaha Kind Edwards, that's so funny! Thank you for your advice, I'll have to dig out the example test pack they sent me months ago. I am proud of my DS, he's my little superstar  off to look at BV this morning. X
CuriousDuo

Post by CuriousDuo »

Can you still apply? :lol: :lol: :lol: kind edwards
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I am feeling guilty about pointing out the typo and ruining your genuine query! :oops:

Applications are open for KES and the exam is in January, with results by February usually.

As JE pointed out, the exam is different, there is creative writing and a comprehension, with a VR and maths component too. It's not all multiple choice like the Consortium Exam.

We know boys who got into a Grammar but not KES, and boys who got into KES and not a grammar. It depends where your child's strengths lie. You can't predict who will or will not get a place, but your sons score in the Consortium exam was pretty good so he stands an excellent chance.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

I know two boys at KES who didn't qualify for any of the consortium GS or HGS. They are fee paying though so didn't get scholarships/APs. Both of them were offered scholarships at The Priory though.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

muminbrum wrote:I know two boys at KES who didn't qualify for any of the consortium GS or HGS. They are fee paying though so didn't get scholarships/APs. Both of them were offered scholarships at The Priory though.
I have certainly heard of a few cases of children missing out on the KE exams or scoring lower than expected and getting a standard place at KES; even of not qualifying for KES but getting into CHB; but I am very surprised at the one about not getting a place at HGS but getting into KES: in terms of content they were very similar - VR, maths, composition (+ writing at KES), except KES is much tougher exam. I am a big supporter of HGS, but their exam was easier and very linked to the NC.
UmSusu
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now