120 places increased in camphill boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MSD

Re: 120 places increased in camphill boys

Post by MSD »

vincent wrote:Hello, I, m a bit confused by MSD comment regarding his son who scored 235 last year but was 42nd on the waiting list for CHB. Hypothetically, if last year there were 42 extra places at the school then the cut off score would be 235. So how do you conclude that 30 extra places would reduce the cut off to 233? I thought it would be higher. Also I believe there are only 27 extra places. Would appreciate clarification.
In theory you are right, Vincent. However, you will find there are candidates, within these extra 42, who will eventually be going to private sector school or change their mind at the last minute.

See, the original cut-off was 240 and came down to 238, as some of the ones above 240 decided to go to alternative schools. And it would be the same, in principle, with the extra 42 on waiting list.
muminbrum wrote:DS also in Y7 at KEFW. 20 boys and 6 girls in his class - guess he's not in a class with HappyDad's son!
Same with my son. My understanding is that the classes in Year 7 are put together based on the chosen Foreign languages. So all the kids with French and German would be in 7H_. Based on this, it's not impossible to have no girls in the class.

MSD
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

muminbrum wrote:DS also in Y7 at KEFW. 20 boys and 6 girls in his class - guess he's not in a class with HappyDad's son!

My DS seems to be friendly with both boys and girls. I guess the kind of girls who go to FW are happy in both male and female company.
I just checked with ds1 and he does indeed have six girls in his class, so I guess they may well be in the same group learning Spanish perhaps.
MSD

Post by MSD »

To further clarify, we know the initial cut-off for CHB was 240 last year. However, this came down to 238. Now, if we assume there were approximately 15 boys between the scores of 238 and 240, that will give us 15 boys from the total of 93 who rejected a place. This gives us an approx. 15% rejection rate. Now, if we apply the same 15% on the 42 waiting list candidates we talked about earlier, it will bring the candidates down to 35.

So that give us 35 candidates on 5 points and you have an additional 27 places. My guess would be a reduction of 4 to 5 points.

But again these stats are based on last years figures and can't be fully relied upon. It really depends on how many children apply to CHB as their first choice and their respective scores.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I used a different method (very close to the one posted here by KenR, but with an adjustment for cohort size built in too), and got a reduction of 4 for CHB.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

I just checked with ds1 and he does indeed have six girls in his class, so I guess they may well be in the same group learning Spanish perhaps.
Nein!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

KenR wrote:Are you sure this isn't just the number of offers made rather than an increase in the PAN?

KECHB normally make about 120 offers to allow for rejections

Have they confirmed they are going for a 4 form entry in year-7? No mention in the Foundation Governors report which I find strange
Wonder how many offers above PAN are going to be made now we have the confirmed numbers from the FO?