Handsworth Grammar School (Boys)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

UmSusu

Re: Handsworth Grammar School (Boys)

Post by UmSusu »

Oh dear, mm, that wasn't nice :(

It's usually the parents that care about these things rather than the children, but it is bound to rub off eventually.
UmSusu
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

UmSusu wrote:Oh dear, mm, that wasn't nice :(

It's usually the parents that care about these things rather than the children, but it is bound to rub off eventually.

Yes so why bother sitting the exam or even putting CHB first at all :? :? :?: :?: :(
peter5

Post by peter5 »

A lot of people who claimed they ''turned down '' a school are probably lying to make up for a simple fact that their DC did not qualify for the school .
I know a child who was rank about 140 (can't recall exact ) for Handsworth Boys ,he went on to be perhaps in the top 5 scores in the KE test and also a scholarship to a private institution .

The make up of the schools reflect the children who took the exam and got the qualifying score ,nothing else .
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

peter5 wrote:A lot of people who claimed they ''turned down '' a school are probably lying to make up for a simple fact that their DC did not qualify for the school .
I know a child who was rank about 140 (can't recall exact ) for Handsworth Boys ,he went on to be perhaps in the top 5 scores in the KE test and also a scholarship to a private institution .

The make up of the schools reflect the children who took the exam and got the qualifying score ,nothing else .

While I have come across this scenario numerous times, (from posters on here too :wink: :roll: ) the family I referred to did actually get a place at CHB. Their son is at an indie now.

Anyway that's enough digressing. Let's not take away the positives of Handsworth Grammar.
NASA

Post by NASA »

Ds started in yr 7 this September, I must admit it wasn't our first choice school but now almost 2 months in ds couldn't be happier! He catches the bus to school every morning and arrives at school for 8am (really!!) he likes to spend the morning with his friend and playing chess with his form tutor and once the bell goes it's all hands on deck.

Lunch times could be problematic as too can music lessons as they are done during lesson time, I would have preferred them after school, but there you go.

Teachers are really approachable and down to earth as are the hoy and head master.

Ds wears his uniform with pride, and we're proud he gives 100% everyday. I've not yet had to get him up for school. His always up before me and can't wait to get to school although somedays, homework gets a bit too much :) (it's a long day after mosque)

A very positive experience

NASA
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

So glad to hear your DS is settling in so well NASA :D . My DS tries to get in really early too but as I am the one who has to get up even earlier to drag him out of bed, I have told him he just needs to get ready quicker.

Music tuition during lesson time is a pain but it is standard across most schools. They rotate the lessons that are affected though. DS plays the guitar but the best feature of the concerts is always the dohl players - they are so loud and lively, they make the rest sound quite tame.
UmSusu
school cynic

Post by school cynic »

CuriousDuo wrote:ds1 is also at QMGS he wet in a fascinated little boy and then 2 years later he comes out speaking like a gangster. :lol:
When DS was 7, he called me 'blud' in front of my family (who were in stitches BTW). My response was clear, that I am his mother and not his 'blud'. My SIL suggested (after laughing hysterically) that I should call him it and over use it to make it uncool. Killed it for him. :lol:
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
UmSusu
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

school cynic wrote:
CuriousDuo wrote:ds1 is also at QMGS he wet in a fascinated little boy and then 2 years later he comes out speaking like a gangster. :lol:
When DS was 7, he called me 'blud' in front of my family (who were in stitches BTW). My response was clear, that I am his mother and not his 'blud'. My SIL suggested (after laughing hysterically) that I should call him it and over use it to make it uncool. Killed it for him. :lol:
You are his blood though. :D as in you share the same blood which is what it means. (Although I agree mummy is slightly more appropriate)
school cynic

Post by school cynic »

Wolves mum wrote:
school cynic wrote:
You are his blood though. :D as in you share the same blood which is what it means. (Although I agree mummy is slightly more appropriate)

You're right, I guess he could have had me on a technicality. :lol: