Age standardised scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
esam99

Re: Age standardised scores

Post by esam99 »

Please correct my understanding of standardisation that the CEM test process: only standardises the VR section (50% weighting of the Birmingham test and 33% for Wolverhampton/Walsall/Wrekin test). The remaining Numerical reasoning & NVR is not standardised. I assume the rationale behind the standardisation is that the older child (almost 11 months 30 days, approximately = 1 year - maximum difference between the youngest and oldest pupils) has an opportunity/awareness of grasping more vocabulary compared to the younger child.
Daffodil3969

Post by Daffodil3969 »

I know I am veering off topic but Old Trout the thought of your little one feeling sad she hasnt passed or is losing friends to grammars is afwul! I am sure she will gain masses of new friends wherever she is and at the risk of being controversial they will be a wide and varied group with a whole range of diverse interests and talents which she might not have been exposed to at Grammar and yes I know there are a range of skills and talents at grammars before everyone shouts, I just think the range is potentially wider outside.
My boy has the qualifying score to apply to Grammar but on the balance of probabilities we are probably not going to send him, i have heard so much about the ethos of bullying there and oneupmanship that i am very much in two minds. He is older (Dec birthday) so will not have benefitted from age standardisation but is quite emotionally immature, whereas his younger brother who is a june baby will benefit when the time comes but is far more emotionally grown up than his 18 month older brother.
Anyhow i hope that helps?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

esam99 wrote:Please correct my understanding of standardisation that the CEM test process: only standardises the VR section...The remaining Numerical reasoning & NVR is not standardised.
All sections are standardised.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Daffodil3969 wrote: i have heard so much about the ethos of bullying there and oneupmanship that i am very much in two minds.

This is very sad Daffodil and also personally concerning as I presume you are referring to Adams? Whilst I expect there is bullying at all schools, and I suspect moreso at all boys schools, I haven't heard anything untoward regarding Adams - apart from a couple of boys starting their business careers in the drug trade a few years ago :shock:
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

Happy dad wrote:
Daffodil3969 wrote: i have heard so much about the ethos of bullying there and oneupmanship that i am very much in two minds.

- apart from a couple of boys starting their business careers in the drug trade a few years ago :shock:
:D how very enterprising of them!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now