Daily Mail article

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wolves mum

Re: Daily Mail article

Post by Wolves mum »

It seems unfair to discriminate against children at indies. My children are educated in the private sector and their school doesn't prep them for 11 plus as they want the kids to stay on there for secondary school. My DS didn't have private tuition whereas many children in the state sector do.
I myself had FSM and through hard work I'm now in a position to privately educate my children but this means we go without a lot of luxuries.

Tbh if being in a state school increases chances of grammar place then in year 5 I will move my DS into the state sector.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

muminbrum wrote:I forget where I saw it but I read somthing recently about making GS offer ten sessions of exam preparation to all to minimise the effect of parents paying for tutoring.
I seriously doubt this as the Foundation don't advocate tuition of any kind.

However KES did hold a literacy workshop. Is this what you are referring to
http://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/ ... workshops/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sky111

Post by sky111 »

Grammar Education used to be seen as a chance for those children from poorer backgrounds to get quality education to aid social mobility but increasingly places are filled by children whose parents are middle class. There has to be a link to identify poor children who deserve a chance to strive to overcome poverty through education. Its only fair. Whether this is through identifying children of parents on FSM, TC and even those children in social care.
Professor Yaffle

Post by Professor Yaffle »

I forget where I saw it but I read somthing recently about making GS offer ten sessions of exam preparation to all to minimise the effect of parents paying for tutoring.
muminbrum I think this might be what you are referring to? there is a thread about it in the General 11+ section

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24850139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

In the good old days the 11+ was admitting genuinely bright children from all walks of life- giving children from poorer backgrounds their first real opportunities to get on in life.
The trouble now is - although we have so called tutor-proof tests- the tuition centres are still milking it by duping a lot of parents that can afford shelling out £30-£40 per week- these are not your folks from what would have been called working class backgrounds (although that in itself is a term which is slowly dying out).
I'm all for children on FSM to have the option of a GS education.
I just can't see it happening by 2015 if this governments got anything to do with it -and just after a general election - very doubtful.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

It didn't take Lawrence Sheriff very long at all to get their change approved by parliament - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1553/made" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - so no reason why the KE schools shouldn't be able to do it in a similar timeframe if they're minded to.
um

Post by um »

I personally would take into account a child's school, and whether it was a poorly performing one or not. Although that might be difficult to administer.
I know one girl at what I would deem to be the worst primary school in Birmingham (the Ofsted report would make your eyes water and it was well deserved) who scored just below the CHG score in the exam. Had that girl been given the opportunity of a really good primary education in a school with high standards and good teaching (and she didn't, but worked mightily hard to make up for it) I have no doubt she could be on 240+.
FunkyMonkey

Post by FunkyMonkey »

We have spent one hundred pounds on each child including books and a couple of writing lessons at a tutor.

Social mobility is not reliant on private tuition. It can be done by helping children study at home.

My wife is an executive and I have a full time career.

Both of my kids have always had extra curricula activcities and we live a normal life.

You reap what you sow.

This social mobility argument is disingenuous, in that it focuses on the perceived need for private tuition.

It is actually about lack of knowledge on parents' part. Maybe all primary school kids should be sent letter home that tells them of this website and generally, how the system works.

That would do more to level the playing field.
sky111

Post by sky111 »

Poor Grammar The Sutton Trust Report

http://www.suttontrust.com/public/docum ... report.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Does anyone think it may work like this: the additional amount in PAN that has recently been announced will ONLY be allocated to FSM say who have gained the AQS and the rest fight it out for the remaining places? And How exactly does Lawrence Sheriff work it cf previous years?