CHB head to be principal of the new UOB school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muminbrum

CHB head to be principal of the new UOB school

Post by muminbrum »

Just had an email to say that Michael Roden has been appointed as Prinicpal of the Univeristy free school that opens in 2015.

Wasn't overly impressed with him or his school at Camp Hill open days but nevertheless quite a coup for the University. I'm sure this will make it even harder to get a place there :( as many people will be reassured by his appointment .
muminbrum

Re: CHB head to be principal of the new UOB school

Post by muminbrum »

Here's the annoucement:

On behalf of the governors of the new University of Birmingham School, I am delighted to announce the appointment of one of the country’s most outstanding headteachers to lead our flagship training school.

Michael Roden, who is currently Head of King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys in Birmingham, will join the University of Birmingham School as Principal in April 2014, in order to prepare for its opening in September 2015.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

IMHO they're conflating "head of one of the most outstanding schools" into "one of the most outstanding heads". He's a nice enough bloke but you'd have to say he's hardly left his mark on CHB. Personally I hope CHB look a little wider than what I might call the "West Mids posh school mafia" for its next head, it would do no harm for it to be looked at with a fresh pair of eyes.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I found him to be alright, he was quite proud of the school and the boys. In general a loss for the school. But you're right, lets see if that can find someone to take the school no levels..It takes a skilled business person to lead a school nowadays..
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

I think this is a BIG loss to CHB. Very approachable and proactive. Great coup for the University.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

agree, MASSIVE LOSS
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

muminbrum wrote:Just had an email to say that Michael Roden has been appointed as Prinicpal of the Univeristy free school that opens in 2015.

Wasn't overly impressed with him or his school at Camp Hill open days but nevertheless quite a coup for the University. I'm sure this will make it even harder to get a place there :( as many people will be reassured by his appointment .

Do you know who will take his place at CHB? I know most on here are very positive about Mr Roden but he was one of the reasons we didn't choose CHB, just couldn't "gel" with him. Still, wish him all the best and interested to see who will replace him.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, governors did send out an email to dps yesterday announcing his leave for April, 2014 and how he has served the KEF with distinction for 26 years: last 6 years have been as HT at CHB. Previously, he was Assistant HT at KES for 5 years. Just before that, 8 years as Deputy HT at CHB. First teaching post was at KES (1982-1990).

Won't know who will succeed him until all the interviews are done in the Spring Term.

Not good timing for us, especially as ds will be sitting his GCSEs. Yes, it is a big loss. :(
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest ... chool.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Hopefully school will go from strength to strength (inshallah)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now