Home Schoolers??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Re: Home Schoolers??

Post by um »

Well, I have taken the bait as I seem to have found myself home schooling at the moment.

DD is having a bit of a 'gap year' before September when hopefully she will start a grammar. We are having lots of fun and I am so glad we ended up doing this as we're enjoying our time together and she is altogether much happier (she was admittedly bored out of her mind last term).

Dc4 and 5 are hanging out with me at present too. I am seriously wondering whether to put dc4 into school due to my work schedule but he's not too keen on the idea! In fact I came downstairs a few days ago to find, 'I do not want to go to school enee mor' written on my whiteboard. I have to say I was quite impressed that he could spell 'school'. :lol:

If you want to join up with other Bham Home schoolers, look for Home Education Birmingham and HELM on facebook -there are many hundreds of members (and activities!).
Tomorrow is a Home Ed day at Thinktank so we hope to enjoy ourselves there - the children are booked for various workshops.
There's more going on than we can possibly do - BMX biking, archery, swimming, forest schools, football, crafts, general meet ups, days out, park days, science and engineering workshops, and some homeschool collectives - my little one attends a Montessori collective three days a week so you might view that as not strictly homeschooled... still, a class of 5 children with a fully qualified teacher and an assistant has done him no harm :D .
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Raggedyanne, sometimes the transition from school to home ed (some call it de-schooling) can take a while before you find your own rhythm. If you are going to be immediately doing 11+, some kids may cope fine but other kids need a bit longer time to adjust. I have read ball park figures of a month de-schooling for each year in school. From our experience that's about what it took us but all children are different.

Um that's interesting, didn't realize you were homeschooling. My younger son attends a Montessori too. Hmmm :lol:

Aliportico, it must feel good coming to the end of the journey now.
Impossible is Nothing.
Iceskatingtracing

Post by Iceskatingtracing »

I homeschool, DS1 started school for the very first time at Grammar in year 7. He's now in year 11 and doing really well. DS2 will follow in Sep, also never having been to school. No regrets, but wouldn't have wanted to homeschool after age 11.
raggedyanne

Post by raggedyanne »

Hats off to all you home schoolers, and it is really wonderful to hear that there are so many of you. Iceskatingtracing, how did your DSs adjust to the school environment and school life, having never experienced it before?
Iceskatingtracing

Post by Iceskatingtracing »

I've been really lucky that my eldest has loved it. My youngest won't go until September. My eldest made friends quickly, it's easy to blend in when so many children come together from so many different primary schools. He hasn't had any problems with the work either. The only downside was on year 6 induction day when they were asked to wear their primary school uniform, which of course we didn't have. I had to rush to Asda and cobble something together so he looked like everyone else! No regrets, just hoping DS2 makes the transition as easily. Fingers crossed!
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Lol, my eldest suggested she wore her pyjamas to her induction day as it said uniform ;-) Can't remember what she did wear, nothing special. Ds was a bit more worried about fitting in (although he'd already met quite a few boys at the PE/literacy club they ran) so was quite smart, although still clearly not in uniform.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

My eldest (have been homeschooling him since the age of 5) is really looking forward to high school this September. I think its because he's read a lot of book that depict school in a very rosy light!
raggedyanne

Post by raggedyanne »

aliportico, I loved the pyjama suggestion :lol:
I homeschooled my eldest (now 13) for a while during his foundation years. Unfortunately, whenever we would be out and about, it would always seem to coincide with school playtimes. He used to peer through the gates, wide eyed and amazed. This was despite the fact that he was having lots of social interaction with other children. This now is my worry with ds2....he has so many friends at school and loves seeing them every day. That is what drags him out of bed in the morning !! He will obviously make new friends within the homeschooling community, but it will not be the same as playing with your mates twice a day during breaks at school. He is also going to miss chess club at school hugely. So much so that I have promised to try and set up a chess club with other local,interested homeschoolers..........erm, anyone interested????
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hi raggedyanne,

I have been reading this thread with interest, as I always toyed with the idea of home schoolrng but never went for it.

Can I ask what made you take the leap? Obviously your boy is very happy at school. My ds3 hated school, and often begged me to home ed, I am glad I did not relent, as he has finally settled, and is organised and happy. I am not terribly organised and think we would have driven one another bonkers!

SB 3
raggedyanne

Post by raggedyanne »

Hi southbucks3
It comes down to a simple equation.....he is at school for 6.5 hrs but the amount of learning and academic progression taking place within those hours, well, it could probably be achieved in much less time if I had him at home for 1 to 1 learning. Additionally and importantly, the rest of the time could be spent on developing his many extra-curricular interests, which are just as important both to him and me. I am not complaining about the teachers as they do their best. Unfortunately, it is just the way most state schools work, with the focus being on the lower ability children so that they are able to reach the national average targets. Unfortunately, the more able children in the meantime just get bored and fed up as there is not much of a challenge for them. Yes, my son LOVES the social aspect of school but other than that, thinks it is mostly boring. Educating children should be just that, but I question how much of it is actually going on with regards to some children in some schools. Yes, I do feel sad that he will miss the social side of school very much, but I can't let that continue to be the sole reason for him staying in school. I think I would be doing him a dis-service if I did. So, as you can see, I have the best of intentions at heart for withdrawing him....I hope, God willing, those intentions bare fruits in the long run!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now