KES or Solihull to BV! Any Advice?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Re: KES or Solihull to BV! Any Advice?

Post by um »

There will be an overhead tram-line built in the next few years linking Snow Hill to New Street, which should make the train journey easier as there'll be no walking through the city centre between stations.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

conundrum wrote:Our dd is in y7 at Sutton Girls and we live in Solihull-had similar dilemma last year.

Presently we car share-leaving Solihull at 7.45 up to J9 of M42 and dropping off at school @8.10, back in Solihull for 8.45 .Do this once or twice a week depending on rota.Girls are back in Solihull by 4.10 (despite the fact they always seem to be last out of school !) It works very well.
Alternatively we did try;
1) train leaving Solihull at 7.59 into Moor Street over to New Street and train out to Sutton-arriving 8.40.Only disadvantage is New Street is such a mess at moment but should be great once work finishes.
2) Also the train into Moor Street or Snow Hill walk to Square Peg pub bus rank (4-5 mins) where there are lots of buses-30 min journey- to Jockey Road-(Sutton Girls) but I dont know if they go past BV?

Hope this helps

NXB buses 902 or 905 would take you to the doorstep of BV from the Square Peg.
Bubbles44

Post by Bubbles44 »

Several members are recommending that you try both journeys and I agree with them. Travel time has always been a consideration for us, but I did not appreciate just how important it was until I tried every journey to the schools we were considering for our daughter. I had initially thought that if our daughter did not secure a place at a King Edwards school then we would send her to QMHS. However, after doing the journey several times I decided that I would sooner send her to the local comprehensive school which has very good results, and is 15 minute walk from our home, than let her make the journey to Walsall every day. The journey to QMHS was just too long!!!

We are currently trying to decide between CHG and KEHS. Although CHG was initially both mine and my daughter’s first choice, we are now seriously considering KEHS due partly to distance. If we choose CHG then my daughter will have to leave the house at 7.15am to catch the Green bus. If she goes to KEHS she could leave the house at between 8am-8.15am. Also when she is a bit older, or if she meets a friend who lives locally, then she will be able to walk to school.

Obviously there might be several other factors for you to consider e.g. finances, siblings, etc, but I think that if you try the journeys, then maybe this might help you with your decision. Good luck!!!
travelhelp

Post by travelhelp »

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We should make a decision sometime next week.
travelhelp

Post by travelhelp »

Bubbles44, um, Elbert, thegodfather, conundrum, moseleymum, happy dad, and others Thanks for sharing your experiences and suggestions. As we are new to Birmingham and grammar schooling we were not sure what to do with so many good choices although we narrowed to two we were still confused :roll: This forum, Your suggestions and experiences have been very helpful in the decision process. Thank you all again!
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

You have an enviable choice to make and good luck with your deliberations.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now