KES or CHB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moseleymum

Re: KES or CHB

Post by moseleymum »

80's girl wrote:Seems they are this year, as my ds's letter states they are offering appointments with Mr Rodden for half an hour per family on specified dates on a first come first served basis.
My post was in relation to Bubbles44 post on CHG not CHB (Mr Roden).

Mr Roden usually does appointments for CHB, which we had with my DS1.
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Ah yes sorry moseleymum, I have CHB on the brain!
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

80's girl wrote:Ah yes sorry moseleymum, I have CHB on the brain!

Of course you do!! :D And a lovely position to be in too :wink: !
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

we considered KES for iGCSE and then pull DS out for A levels somewhere...the one main issue I felt was the social network that the children build up over the 5 years and then potentially throw it away and start all over again at A level. Just wouldn't be fair especially around UCCA time in lower sixth. The personal statement as well as teachers comments would be based on a years worth rather than an extended time.

IB is very much a marmite type topic, certainly for us anyways. We made an informed decision based on the pros and cons for our child. What would be ironic is if KECHB ever went IB... :roll: :roll:

Best of luck. Make an informed decision and don't look back
Last edited by sbarnes on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

Bubbles44 wrote:Good advice Thegodfather!!! :D I'm glad you've finally decided which school to send your son to. We visited KEHS on Monday and both myself and my daughter loved it, but we have decided not to make our final decision until after our visit to CHG on Monday. We were hoping to visit CHG this week to help speed up the decision-making, which is stressing me out, but unfortunately they were unable to fit us in. :(

TNG - I agree with HappyRobot. I think you should try and visit both schools again, with your son, and then go with your gut feeling. That is what we have decided to do. Good luck!!!
:D

Hope all becomes clearer for you on monday!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

sbarnes wrote:What would be ironic is if KECHB ever went IB... :roll: :roll:
When I met Mr Roden two years ago before accepting the place at CHB, we briefly talked about this topic. He was all in favour of the IB when it was first introduced ...in a ideal/philosophical way of thinking... like personally I think that the IB is ideally a good qualification... but reality make me return back on planet Earth leaving behind some cosy and lovely clouds :lol: and see that the IB is also not for my DS.
So he was in a 'wait ans see' attitude and felt that the time has not come yet to do the switch. When I observe other schools in the UK dropping IB after having done the switch, I think he has been very wise... though I do appreciate that KES has obtained excellent results at the IB. Maybe the small classes they have there in English and the language lab etc. are part of the reason of the success?

On a light note, when I see the computer geek or maths geek* or more generally the science geek who are at CHB, I do feel that IB might be the wrong route for some of the pupils... though I do quickly add that many boys are excellent at English or languages... and music... and sport... I am still staggered by all the skills many of these young boys have. :lol: :lol:

PS: I am using the term 'geek' as a positive term, not at all as a derogatory one... :wink:
Bubbles44

Post by Bubbles44 »

moseleymum wrote:
Bubbles44 wrote:Good advice Thegodfather!!! :D I'm glad you've finally decided which school to send your son to. We visited KEHS on Monday and both myself and my daughter loved it, but we have decided not to make our final decision until after our visit to CHG on Monday. We were hoping to visit CHG this week to help speed up the decision-making, which is stressing me out, but unfortunately they were unable to fit us in. :(

TNG - I agree with HappyRobot. I think you should try and visit both schools again, with your son, and then go with your gut feeling. That is what we have decided to do. Good luck!!!
From what I remember (from last year) CHG didn't arrange individual appointments after results, but they did have a "group" meeting for all those given places to help them decide. This included a speech, q and a session and another tour around the school. It was this meeting that made our decision firm.
It's the same this year moseleymum. They are not offering any individual appointments or tours. Prospective parents and girls can visit at a set time on either Monday or Tuesday morning. I hope to have a clear decision by the end of the visit. Fingers crossed!!! :?
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Any updates? :D
Bubbles44

Post by Bubbles44 »

moseleymum wrote:Any updates? :D
Decision made!!! We have chosen KEHS!!! :D
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »