KES or Solihull to BV! Any Advice?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

travelhelp

KES or Solihull to BV! Any Advice?

Post by travelhelp »

Hi,

I have read previous posts on travel from Solihull to BV. Some seem to take train while others have mentioned about bus. If you son attends BV can you please let me know:
1. His travel to school
2. Return journey
3. How does he feel at the end of the day?
4. Is it worth the commute?

My son has got admission at KES. Not really sure what to do, very confused :?: Would appreciate your help and advice.

Thanks.
Natalie74

Re: KES or Solihull to BV! Any Advice?

Post by Natalie74 »

When I was considering BV for my DS we did a practice run on the train a few times although not from Solihull. Wanted to let you know that the train station is literally a 5 minute walk from the train station in Sutton. X
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Natalie74 wrote:When I was considering BV for my DS we did a practice run on the train a few times although not from Solihull. Wanted to let you know that the train station is literally a 5 minute walk from the train station in Sutton. X

Natalie, did you drink more than one glass of that merlot :wink:

BV is a 5 minute walk from the train station. I believe yo would have to cross from New Street to Moor Street to get to Solihull train station.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Lol I've no idea about the journey from Solihull. I meant once you arrive in Sutton, BV is just a 5 minute walk away from where you get off the train. :D
um

Post by um »

You would have to take the train from Solihull to Moor Street or Snow Hill, then walk to New Street.
However there is a tram link between Snow Hill and New Street being built very soon, so that will make things easier.
Then your son would stay on the line from New Street until Sutton Coldfield (I guess there will be quite a few BV boys on that line) and as mentioned before, it is a very short walk from the station to the school.

I would suggest that you actually make the journey yourself to see how it is.
I heard a few years ago of a minibus going from Solihull to Sutton Coldfield but unfortunately have lost contact with the mum whose daughter used to take this service..... I would suggest that you call BV and ask them if many pupils travel from Solihull and if they are aware of such services or lift shares? I would imagine that they do exist.
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

my ds has 2 friends from solihull he picks up the same bus as on the 71 bus route goes past our house. i asked him how long the jorney is for them and they said 50 mins, one bus direct solihull to sutton. lots of bv boys on and off this bus along the route.
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

sorry meant to say they get bus solihull town centre in morning about 7am and are in sutton gracechurch for just after 8am, then just a short walk up the hill to school..my ds gets off same bus lots of boys walk then together. have a look at the route number 71. may be a viable option as boys already do it.
travelhelp

Post by travelhelp »

Thanks so much Natalie74, Happy dad, um, newbiemum.

I have called the school regarding bus from Solihull but they did not give much info. We have planned to make few trips to school.

Can you please share your experiences about BV?
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

ds in yr 7 and enjoying every aspect of the school..we cannot fault it and ds doing really well.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

There is a brilliant 'travel' link on the BV website ...

http://www.schooltravelwise.org.uk/scho ... oolID=2636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if that will work. If not, go onto BV website, click 'parents', click 'general info and links' then 'school tracelwise'
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now