11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gilly

Sutton Test

Post by gilly »

Could somebody clarify is the Sutton Coldfield Test definately Multiple Choice

Thanks
chad

Post by chad »

Not sure (not in my area) but someone mentioned it was the same as Bishop Vesey.... that is said to be standard format on the website.

http://www.bishopveseys.bham.sch.uk/admissions.htm

Hopefully someone from your area will be able to confirm.
gilly

Sutton Test

Post by gilly »

I am a little confused as it states within this website under the regions section that the tests are multiple choice
fm

Post by fm »

Bishop Vesey's and Sutton are the same exam. If you phone Sutton Girls, the official line is that they won't know until the day but it's usually multiple choice.
I checked with my former pupils from last year and, from what they can remember, they all thought it was standard.
I am working on the basis it is standard but will explain to my pupils how to use the multiple choice answers to their advantage in the VR should it turn out to be multiple choice.
Certainly standard is harder, especially for the erratic spellers and for those who can't get the missing 3 letters, but better to err on the side of caution.
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Hi there
My son sat the Vesey test last year and said that some parts were standard and some were multi choice. The NVR was multi choice but answers were recorded on the question paper, rather than on a separate sheet. He thinks most of the other questions were standard, although 'some' may have been multi choice. All answers were recorded on the ques paper.
Hope this is of some help- sorry to be vague - I think the children concentrate so hard in the test it becomes a blur when you ask them afterwards what was in it.
Good luck to everyone sitting the test. We are going through the whole procedure again this year with my daughter so I know how you all feel!
ah

Post by ah »

How confusing! I think its best to have the kiddies prepared for both formats, i think the schools try and catch the children out.

You never know Sutton might even throw english in this year, and that would be a surprise!

Ah
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Hi
I don't think that Sutton tests will include english this year because the test confirmation states "NVR, VR and maths". I do agree that we shoud prepare our kids for both type of questions though.
fm

Post by fm »

To abcdef

I noticed on a previous post that your boy gained entry last year on a top end score. You also mentioned that the last mark for entry was around 324. Out of interest was that the last mark on the initial round of offers in March or the final last mark after places were accepted or rejected in the summer term?

Also, while I understand the principles of standardisation, I am trying to guage just how much affect they have on a score. Do you happen to know your boy's pre-standardised score and was he at the old end of the year? My impression is that standardisation has a considerable impact on Sutton scores but I may be wrong.

Thank you.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi fm

Regarding the effect of Age standardisation, I can't answer for the Birmingham LEA exams but I do have some actual results for the KE Foundation exams. I obtained a full print out the raw score to Age Standardisation scores for the 2005 exam from the Foundation Office.

The results are quite interesting:-
For example, in the Birmingham KE VR Tests in Nov 2004 , to achieve a Standardised Score of 118 a child aged 11.18 years on the exam day would have to achieve score 71/100, whereas a child who was only 10.22 years would only have to score 65/100. Quite a difference.
The range is similar for NVR and Numerical sections as well.

Regards

PS worthwhile registering with the site so that bulk information can exchanged via a PM.
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Hi fm

I don't know exactly how they age standardise in Sutton but I can fill you in on the details that I have from what happened last year.
When the letters came out on 2nd March my son was offered a place at KE Aston (his 1st choice). Friends had told me that we could find out his Vesey mark if we were interested, so I contacted the council and they sent a letter straight away. This stated that his actual test score was as follows:
VR 44/45 standardised to 140
NVR 39/40 standardised to 134
Maths 49/50 standardised to 140.
His total raw score was therefore 132/135 standardised to 414. His birthday is beginnning of March.
On this letter it stated that lowest final score for entry was 324 and only pupils scoring 318 and above were on the waiting list.
I have tried to figure out how they standardise myself, as my daughter is taking the exams this year, August birthday, but not as strong as my son was. If you manage to find out, I would be grateful if you could let me know.
Hope this is of some help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now