Current Status

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mike1880

Re: Current Status

Post by mike1880 »

Speculating wildly, I would imagine the offers process will be:

1) PP children offered places in descending score order down to either the QS or 20/25% of places, whichever limit they hit first;

2) Remaining places (between 80 and 100% of places, depending on offers at stage 1) offered in descending score order down to either QS or PAN (PAN+x if they over-offer as CHB usually does), whichever limit they reach first (by setting a QS they're setting an absolute limit on the lowest score they can offer to, if that leaves them with unfilled places those can only be filled via appeal; but to be realistic, they're going to hit the PAN before they get down that far).

So yes, the QS is an absolute floor. Regulations say they can't make an offer to anyone below that. And yes, PP children scoring above the "regular" qualifying score will count in the 20/25% PP places - the "regular" score won't even exist at the point when it's decided that they've qualified.

Mike
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Mike 1880 is basically right and this really isn't that complicated.

The qualifying score is the minimum a PP child needs to be considered. For example at FW all PP children who reach the score of 200 will then be ranked in order until the 20% of places is filled or until they run out of suitably qualifies children. Once these have been allocated all the remaining places will be allocated as before. So if the 20% is allocated at FW through the qualifying score 144 of the 180 places will be left and then allocated to non PP children in the usual way. If less than the 20% are allocated to PP children then more will be allocated to the others.

I assume the qualifying scores are the minimum a school thinks a child needs to benefit from a GS education at their establishment. My interest is in the difference between the scores. Why does a PP child need a higher score to qualify for Camp Hill and Aston than FW? I thought KE would have one score. Any light shed on that would be welcome.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Perhaps somebody could ask the KE Foundation :?: :)

PP, in general, is about funding. Maybe KEA has already a higher number of pp students than FW hence, FW's lower percentage and score to fill their quota and secure funding.