Increased places for disadvantaged pupils

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: Increased places for disadvantaged pupils

Post by hermanmunster »

thanks DC17C - I remember now that it was just the one school in the area and some discussion as to whether others would do the same.

Here is the thread about it http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 16&t=27992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

I do wonder if the focus on FSM is because it is seen as a real way to increase inclusion or if it is because funding follows with the pupil premium.

But the reality is how far do people really want to go to make it fairer, outlawing pupils from private schools taking the exam for instance?
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Outlawing private school pupils is an interesting idea.
I wonder if it would then be fair to give those parents back the proportion of tax they pay for the state schools they don't use?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

HappyRobot wrote:Outlawing private school pupils is an interesting idea.
I wonder if it would then be fair to give those parents back the proportion of tax they pay for the state schools they don't use?
That does happen in other countries (the contribution to fees, not the outlawing!). In Germany for example if a private school has "Ersatzschulstatus" (i.e. is officially recognised as being qualified to replace German public schools) the regional government reimburses those parts of the costs which are comparable to the cost of German public school education.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

Not all private schools are great, some do not prepare children for the 11 plus as they have their own secondary that they want children to attend. Some just have poor teaching but parents assume if they are paying the teaching must be good.

Also why should parents who have worked hard to pay fees be penalised against parents that drive flash cars, have lots of hols but choose to send their kids to state school?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Also why should parents who have worked hard to pay fees be penalised against parents that drive flash cars, have lots of hols but choose to send their kids to state school?
Because the quality of a child's education should have absolutely nothing to do with its parents, whether they are rich, poor, selfish or generous. A child is not a person's commodity that can be improved upon like someone opting to put a new kitchen in their house rather than take a foreign holiday.
All children are all individuals and all equally special and as a nation we should all understand that and ensure every single child has the sane educational opportunities in life. Education and healthcare are the only things we can control and anything that puts those two essentials for any child's wellbeing and development at risk should be dealt with.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

I agree about every child being equal. I know children who go to poor state schools with no tutors and their parents have put in the effort to home tutor the children to secure them a place at grammar schools. I also know lawyers who work for top firms and earn plenty send their children to grammar school. Everyone should have the chance to go to selective schools.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Everyone should have the chance to go to selective schools.
Every child should have an equal chance of receiving a good education, regardless of parental influence or wealth.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

If they stopped children from private schools taking the exam, then I can see there would a huge shift of kids for a term at the end of year 5 or beginning of year 6 - kids would be entitled to a state school place after all. No doubt the private school would quietly be providing some tutoring in the background, taking them back as soon as the exam was done. Crackers.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Very interesting debate. In terms of money back from the taxman please remember that people with no children are paying their taxes towards our childrens education. Equally people with one or two children are paying for people with five or six. Equally we all contribute to safeguarding childrens services we do not engage with and purchasing nuclear weapons. So its a spurious argument.

It is not a level playing field as your chances are largely dictated by your parents own educational achievements and wealth. GS are basically a middle class preserve (go to a welcome evening and look around). Therefore, anything which helps other children get in must be applauded. GS are part of the state system and therefore have responsibilities to at least try and ensure that all bright children have a chance. Reading other threads about this years preperations have in fact shocked me. I knew people bought tutors but some of the strategies to get ahead of others are shall we say interesting.

And woe betide anyone who threatens this by having admissions criteria which help children on free school meals (which some areas are now doing). Hermanmunsters post sums up perfectly all thats wrong with private education. Crackers indeed.