Help with appeals for in-year transfers to Grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stebel5

Help with appeals for in-year transfers to Grammar schools

Post by stebel5 »

Hello all,
I am relocating to the West Mids area during the summer and I am looking to get my kids (current Year 7 and 9) into the King Edwards Grammar schools. I have visited some of them. As you might expect the schools are full, some might have a space but this is unlikely to be confirmed until June. I am looking for any advice on how to launch a successful appeal to see if I can get some certainty sooner.
um

Re: Help with appeals for in-year transfers to Grammar schoo

Post by um »

The best advice will come straight from the school(s) or Foundation office on this.
Have you asked them directly what you can do and what the policy is?
KenR

Post by KenR »

All the KE Grammars run their own separate entrance exams for entry after year-7 - I believe these are based on a selection of the schools' own end of year exams. As um said, speak directly to the schools you are interested in.

The appeal system wouldn't apply in your case as you didn't apply for the schools for year-7 entry.

Please note that it's quite a competitive process as maybe 10-15 take the exam and only a few are successful (depending on the attrition rate for that year)
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Agree - I got confused at first as you wrote "appeal" when there's nothing to appeal against as you haven't applied before.

Are you looking at boys, girls or coed schools? If you could specify it might be easier to help.

Whilst some of the private schools have places for those that move to Birmingham such as KES (http://www.kes.org.uk/admissions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), with the Grammars I believe you're in the same boat as everyone else. There will be children of various ages within Birmingham on the waiting list for in year entry in each of the schools and all will be sitting a test should a place become available.

My DD is in Camp Hill Girls, a few of her classmates have left and already been replaced by girls who have sat a test in year along with others on the waiting list. I know they have come from within Birmingham and I know of another girl who is being prepared for a test should a place come up. As far as I am aware another child is due to leave as well.

Unfortunately as this stage, there's the real possibility there won't be any available place for September in any Grammar as it's quite late in the year. If a definite plan is in place to come to Birmingham then you'll have to get on the lists ASAP as these things are sorted out quite quickly, within a few weeks. A girl who left at the end of the Spring Term has already had her place take up by someone else and we're only two weeks into the Summer Term.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now