Open day questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
thirdtimemum

Open day questions

Post by thirdtimemum »

My son is currently in year 4 and I've noticed a number of open days being advertised. I'm thinking of attending now as I would like to see if the grammar school route is best for my son. He has already started tutoring but don't want him going through the pressures of an exam next year if it's not right for him. So just wondering at what stage others go to the open days and whether your child also goes with you? I've noticed that bishop vesey appears to advertise the parents and is also in the school day which implies it is for parents only, yet I feel it is also my sons choice as to whether he likes the school.
Also some schools seem to have advertised for 2015 entry... Does this mean we are not allowed to go?
Thank you for your help
Happy dad

Re: Open day questions

Post by Happy dad »

We first went to an open day at OSH when ds1 was in year 3 and visited KEFW in year 4. Whilst we already knew we wanted him to attend grammar school it inspired him forthe work ahead that was needed to prepare for the entrance tests. Whilst the current crop of open days are for 2015 entry they are open to all as no booking is necessary. Can't remember any we attended being during the normal school day. Vesey and Aston did a couple of short mid week morning events just before the deadline for the CAF but they were aimed very much at helping you decide, following publication of results, that their school was the right one. The normal open days however were after hours and much more informative. I never attended without at least one son in tow.
Wee

Post by Wee »

Last year when my daughter was in Y5 WGHS had most open 'days' in the morning and just one in the evening. We attended a morning session and I would say that all adults had a child with them. I agree, looking round was a great motivator for my daughter.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The normal open days however were after hours and much more informative
Totally disagree - these ae designed to 'sell' the school - a visit in a normal school day will tell you much more about a school.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Guest55 wrote:
Totally disagree - these ae designed to 'sell' the school - a visit in a normal school day will tell you much more about a school.
I agree with Guest55. Although the evening Open Days were more "fun" due to the number of experiments/activities/food science offerings, the ones in the day were very much more representative of what being in the school is actually like.

We visited in Year 4 and 5 - to do all the ones we wanted in Year 5 was too much hassle as they're usually all in a short space of a week or so. Didn't see the point of taking a Year 6 child to an Open Day in September, as it was after the exam but before the results. My DC needed a rest from everything 11+ before the Indie exams so wouldn't have gone then anyway!

Post results, the decision was made by visiting during a typical school day. Changed our opinions completely compared to visiting in the evening.

I would never visit a school without DC. A close friend of mine refused to take her DD to any Open Days as she didn't want to "stress" her child but my DC found it a great motivator.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:
However, depending on whether you are shown around by staff or students, only visiting during the school day may give little scope for finding out what it is like to be a pupil there. DS1 and I were told by our 'guide' at one school that no, she didn't really like it there :shock:. To be fair, she did qualify this by saying that she hadn't enjoyed primary school much, either...

Despite the girl's lack of enthusiasm, the school survived to be put down as second choice on DS1's CAF!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Thank you for all the replies. I think for now I will stick to the evening ones to get a feel for it and so as not to take my son out of school. However I think when down to the final 2 or 3 we will also go to the day time ones. You've been really helpful again. Thank you
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Guest55 wrote:
Apart from of course it is not a normal school day.

The current Headmaster's newsletter for BV suggests current year 4 attend this coming open evening.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now