Classes at camphill

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Happy dad

Re: Classes at camphill

Post by Happy dad »

A child at ds2 primary has been attending KEFW on a Saturday morning since about March.
Hajra

Post by Hajra »

Quite interesting responses . Seems to be true that their are some schools and yes children are being taken out in school time for an afternoon a week. Not sure howling this has been happening and if or when it's coming to a close. Whole process seems very controversial . By the way it is an underperforming inner city school from which chn receive this help. Could be to do with FSM etc
Hajra

Post by Hajra »

Hajra wrote:Quite interesting responses . Seems to be true that their are some schools and yes children are being taken out in school time for an afternoon a week. Not sure howling this has been happening and if or when it's coming to a close. Whole process seems very controversial . By the way it is an underperforming inner city school from which chn receive this help. Could be to do with FSM etc

Really need to proofread my responses - note to self :)
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

The 'master classes for various subject areas' are not quite the same as the 'familiarisation classes', though. They target different pupils.

The first only identifies G & T students from local primary schools, is an enrichment programme and unrelated to the CEM test. I remember when ds2 was part of this when they first started. He used to attend the maths' sessions at chb along with a couple of other students. Other g&t students in his school were also identified for different curriculum subjects. But very few of these children were on FSM.

The 10 hr 'familiarisation classes' seems to be a new addition to the Outreach Programme, and judging from our group, target chn who are (or have been) on FSM. It's probably a result of KEF's announcement to offer places to a specified number of children registered for Pupil Premium. More FSM children at KEGs means more income for the school.

I do agree that it seems hypocritical in light of their statement, "The Grammar Schools in Birmingham is in no way connected to, nor does it endorse or recommend, the services of any organisation or agency purporting to offer tuition and/or revision courses for children to assist in preparing them for school entrance tests."

But when you consider that the majority of these children don't have tuition, or parental support: are they really on the same level as those who have had regular tuition since y4/5, with clued up parents and possibly, some who also benefit from attending prep schools?
succeed

Post by succeed »

It seems highly unethical to decide which primary school children are 'worthy' of support and which are not - presumably KE can only accommodate a relatively small number of FSM/PP for this tuition, so are selecting children on what basis? (Given that a third of school children in Birmingham are on FSM/PP.)
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

succeed wrote:It seems highly unethical to decide which primary school children are 'worthy' of support and which are not - presumably KE can only accommodate a relatively small number of FSM/PP for this tuition, so are selecting children on what basis? (Given that a third of school children in Birmingham are on FSM/PP.)

This is the point. Of course I have absolutely no problem with children on FSM, from under performing schools or with no parental support being given guidance when they have none. However the lessons seem hypocritical given the Consortium's previous stance. Even if their stance has changed due to the need to encourage FSM, then the criteria for the children participating should be more transparent.

It seems that individual schools were chosen by the Headmaster, rather than individual children, so is it on the basis of area of the school (postcode lottery?). If so then there will be children who are having the sessions who clearly don't need it and are therefore taking a place away from someone who does.

I haven't looked at websites or gone into the reasons for the classes, as the classes don't concern or affect me. I mentioned these classes as I found it odd that the child I know who attends the Tuesday afternoon CHB classes has very supportive parents, paid for tuition and a sibling in one of the grammar schools. This child has never been on FSM either (parents medical). Of course I want the best for my friend's child but the criteria for inclusion isn't as targeted as they would have you believe.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

On one of the sites - possibly the central KE Foundation one - under the 'Primary@ tab, I think, there is a piece inviting schools / teachers to contact them with requests / suggestions for ways in which KE could help.

I am paraphrasing a bit here, only having had a quick look :)

Our local grammars run things like this as well, with local primaries being given invitations for those of their children who are interested. Preference is given to those on FSM etc if they are oversubscribed.

Personally, I think your KE schools sound great for doing what they are doing - as they say in their FAQs, it's not a perfect way of trying to encourage families who wouldn't normally consider GS to do so, but it's a start.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

So actually this may be a good thing as the primary schools that don't necessarily attract the brightest pupils may in future attract brighter pupils as they know they will get this additional help.