walsallmum

Summer mocks Tudor house

Post by walsallmum »

Has anyone tried Tudor house mocks

They seem quite expensive
adhdad

Re: Summer mocks Tudor house

Post by adhdad »

I couldnt say if it was over priced but to give you something to compare against my maths tutor is charging around 50 pounds for a mock exam. hope that my be of some help.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

They are if you only take the mock and don't include in one of the packages they offer

Used them twice and both my boys are going to Grammar school.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Historic link to an organisation with a similar name. DYOR.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... udor+house" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

I would guess it is the same as they also refer to themselves as the Saturday School.

Hopefully have changed somewhat since 2006 but we were generally pleased with them, specifically the one ran from the Apollo Hotel on the Hagley Road, Saturday morning with mocks on Saturday afternoons.

Obviously will never know if my boys would have secured GS places anyway, but I think Tudor House were a big help.
walsallmum

Post by walsallmum »

Happy dad did your d c just do the mocks or the lessons too
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

They did the lessons too. Saturday mornings and a couple of mornings a week during the holidays. During August Saturdays do become a bit long as the mocks were after the lessons so they were there from 11 till 5. But it was only one day a week for about eight weeks.
walsallmum

Post by walsallmum »

would you recommend it then happy dad
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Yes, although the main driver for us to privately tutor was to remove the "war mentality" at home to get some work done as opposed to the perceived need to tutor. Both boys work very very well in classroom environment but are not so diligent in out of school work. We effectively paid (a reasonable price I believe) for a private tutor to manage the battles over practise and revision.

I do need to caveat that although both were offered GS places, ds2 did not score so well in the Birmingham exam and did not make the grade for the schools we were considering. Thankfully he did get offered Adams.
um

Post by um »

I don't have direct experience of this company's mocks as none of my children attended them.
However I saw them online and also thought they were very expensive, considering they did not include feedback, and I am not sure if there is any point in simply testing a child without providing clear feedback, if your aim is for them to improve.

I would also say genuinely to all parents, that you should be careful not to be coerced into paying large sums of money upfront for tuition.
I know of a few parents who got into this situation and were left out of pocket and unable to change tutor if they wanted to. If the tutor is dedicated and committed to your child, they will not need to ask for payment upfront for months in advance.