Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Support for year 8
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:55 pm 

Hi
Dd has just finished first year at grammar and will be entering year 8 are there any books I should go through her with at home to support her if so any recommendations would be great.

Post subject: Re: Support for year 8
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:13 pm 

It's probably better to post in a different part of the forum if there are any specific queries about areas your DD is struggling with. There's a post 11+ part of the forum, which I've found useful for Year 7 queries here:

viewforum.php?f=39

My own DD has just finished Year 7 at a Grammar, haven't even bothered to look into books for Year 8 :oops: but then again I didn't bother with oldest DS either (about to start Year 10 and I've done zero at home to support him since starting secondary). Starting to feel guilty now, maybe I should do more!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:48 pm 

If there were no specific recommendations in her end of year report -'Ermintrude has found topic x difficult this term and has been told to look at it on MyMaths / school intranet etc before September' or the like - I really wouldn't worry. As for books, the CGP KS3 guides are quite useful as a general overview, we have found.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 pm 

Agree with Toadmum - unless something has been highlighted in her school report or the form tutor has contacted you I'd let her have a study-free holiday and a good rest, but also do lots of other activities like days out, going to museums, trying a new sport, new cookery recipes etc etc. They work hard at grammar - let her have a lovely summer!