Sunday Times Article - State and Independant Schools review

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sbarnes

Re: Sunday Times Article - State and Independant Schools rev

Post by sbarnes »

So I think what we are saying is that we all agree. I posted the link to the tables as they don't appear that frequently. This forum provides the rest in terms of opinion etc. of any school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why post tables that are at least a year old? It's pointless imho
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

All agree on what...?
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Something is better than nothing. I will try and find more upto date data for parents.
succeed

Post by succeed »

mike1880 wrote:
sbarnes wrote:There are many who need these to go on, so please don't make sweeping statements.
When I was jumping through 11+ hoops league tables were all that was available. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now to be honest unless I was looking at independents for which there is still no realistic alternative. This is what you should be looking at for state schools:

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/per ... ndex.shtml

And you still need to look at more than one year. (Incidentally, if you look at CHB's page for 2012 and 2013 you'll see a prime example of the sort of thing that frustrates people like John Claughton so much.)
What is also quite striking about the grammar schools data is the minute number of disadvantaged pupils in the cohorts, compared with other schools in Birmingham (6% versus , say, 40%, sometimes more) and the attainment on entry. There are zero middle or low attaining pupils.Whilst this is to be no great surprise , it is still rather sobering when you see the stark contrasts between schools in black and white. Will be interesting to see what difference, if any, the additional pupil premium cohort will have on the school's national position in the league tables .
Last edited by succeed on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

sbarnes, please don't parents need to look for themselves ... the performance table for 2014 won't be out before people have to put in their CAF.
As several people have said the tables are pointless for knowing how well your child will do. The fundamental changes to GCSE and A level will mean any table this year or next tell you nothing.

(edited to make sense as post crossed)
Last edited by Guest55 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I thought the only agreement was that we need fewer tables/meaningless statistics not more!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Alexander Pope
“A little learning is a dangerous thing.
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian Spring;
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again.”

In other words find out everything you can, don't be enticed by league tables alone and there won't be any surprises when your child starts school. Obviously if you comit to a small regional area this is far easier to do, as it reduces the school options, increases your ability to communicate with local parents and children and also offers your child and you the security of being part of a local community.