KE Handsworth Girls or Sutton Coldfield Girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FairyDust13

Re: KE Handsworth Girls or Sutton Coldfield Girls?

Post by FairyDust13 »

HodgeHill Dad i think your on pretty safe ground.....i will be very surprised if your DD does not get what she wants.

EdgHopefulDad your DD should be OK too if not on offer day then through the waiting list......but you may get an opportunity to visit SCGSG and decide to join crazycrofter instead!!

Good luck to all!! :)
HodgeHillDad

Post by HodgeHillDad »

Thanks Quasimodo and Fairydust for your encouraging and kind words
Good luck everyone!
Hearts4

Post by Hearts4 »

crazycrofter wrote:Thanks everyone! Our daughter was very set on Sutton being her preference, even though we preferred Handsworth, so we've put them in that order. Her score was 218 so I'm hoping she will get Sutton on offer day. I'm pleased that she'll be able to travel by train, as that will give her some independence, which I feel is important as they grown up.

Hope everyone else has been able to make their decisions!
Hi Crazycrofter, my daughter started Yr7 at SCGSG in Sept and is loving it! She got in by the skin of her teeth with a waiting list offer in May with a score of 209. We live in South Birmingham and she travels by train. This is convenient with trains running every 10 mins on the cross city line, which means no changing at New St :-) There are 3 other Sutton girls who get on at her station and lots more get on along the line. Her train journey takes approx 36 mins with a safe 10-12 min walk at the other end. Hope this info helps :-)
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Thanks Hearts, that's really good to know! Where does your daughter get on the train? My daughter would probably be getting on at Longbridge or Northfield. I've a friend with a daughter who scored 213 who's hoping to get in, at least off the waiting list, so she'll be encouraged to hear your story!
Hearts4

Post by Hearts4 »

My DD gets on at Northfield :D
goodmanj

Post by goodmanj »

My Daughter also started at SCGS in September and is getting on just wonderfully.
We have already found the School to be very supportive & whilst the girls do work very hard, they somehow seem to still very much include an element a fun and warmth.
Anyway, the main reason for my post this morning, was to let anybody who wasn't already aware know about Wylde Green train station as a quicker option than Sutton!
If used, the main entrance to Wylde Green is indeed much too far a walk from School. However, through friends we found that the platform of Wylde Green extends all the way up to Highbridge Road, with a small back entrance that we would never have known was there.
So, you walk all the way up the platform, exit at Highbridge Road, cross over the road to Goldisee Road which is directly opposite the School & cross at the lights - a grand total of 7 minutes along a residential street with not too much in the way of traffic, but many other students & adults making their way to work. Just thought I'd let you all in in on the secret!!
Hearts4

Post by Hearts4 »

goodmanj wrote: Anyway, the main reason for my post this morning, was to let anybody who wasn't already aware know about Wylde Green train station as a quicker option than Sutton!
If used, the main entrance to Wylde Green is indeed much too far a walk from School. However, through friends we found that the platform of Wylde Green extends all the way up to Highbridge Road, with a small back entrance that we would never have known was there.
So, you walk all the way up the platform, exit at Highbridge Road, cross over the road to Goldisee Road which is directly opposite the School & cross at the lights - a grand total of 7 minutes along a residential street with not too much in the way of traffic, but many other students & adults making their way to work. Just thought I'd let you all in in on the secret!!
My daughter and her friends use this handy shortcut goodmanj, but I put a higher estimation on the time of the walk to allow for dawdling/chatting, ha ha :lol: I found out about the shortcut by reading previous years posts on this forum :D and we did a few practice runs over the Summer. It's such a shame there isn't a train stop inbetween Wylde Green & Sutton as the train line runs directly past the back of the school! :roll: :lol:
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Thanks both of you for that information, it really helps! It's beginning to sound like quite a straightforward journey, considering the distance. Have either of you had any problems with the trains running late/ cancellations? My daughter was asking what would happen if she was late for school.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Hearts4 wrote:
It's such a shame there isn't a train stop inbetween Wylde Green & Sutton as the train line runs directly past the back of the school! :roll: :lol:
Even more frustrating is the train line which runs at the back of the Camp Hill schools - and is freight only!
um

Post by um »

Yes...the nearest station is Bournville but even that line runs past Pineapple Rd close to CH if they could just pop a little station there :)

There has been talk of reopening some Kings Heath/Moseley train lines when HS2 gets built...