Tutoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nard

Tutoring

Post by Nard »

I know not many people like talking about this but wandered what anyone thought about tutoring for the 11+. My DS has a boy at school who had a tutor once a week to get him ready for 11+ but has told DS that tutor had stopped coming this week because he got enough marks in exam.

My DS also took 11+ (without any tutoring) but scored 10+ marks lower than this boy even though at school my DS was achieving higher than this boy.

Just wandered what other peoples thoughts were on this.
onebigdilemma

Re: Tutoring

Post by onebigdilemma »

I don't agree with some people being able to afford tutoring and some not. There will not be many if any children on this site who have not been tutored. I bought a few books and did 1-2 hours a week with my boys so that consists of tutoring. I bet a number of people who did it themselves probably did it better than a paid tutor!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think defining "tutoring" is difficult.

It would be unfair to send a child into a test without at least some familiarity with the type of questions that they will see in the test - even what the format of the paper / answer sheet is like can be helpful. Some areas have a practice test under the same conditions and the kids can see what the answer sheets are like etc etc and how the timing works, the papers are thrown away and a few days later they do the proper test

Some people obviously do do a lot more and it isn't really clear how much difference that makes in the end.
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

all children from ds school who took the test were tutored.
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

We didn't want to take any chances and sent our dd to a tutor for two years. While the grammar schools look for natural talent, kids are still influenced by parents, schools and their environment in general. However, some of dd's tutored friends did not do too well, and ours only passed, I believe, due to the additional work we made her do at home.

I still have a ds who will be sitting the tests in 4 years, but am considering either reducing the tutoring to one year, or maybe evening stopping altogether.

There's some fantastic material available out there AND on this forum, but you really will need to have the time to dedicate, if you're doing it yourself.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

I think if you have a good relationship with your child and a reasonable level of education then it is possible to achieve equally good results by buying a few books and doing it yourself. I diy tutored my eldest and he scored 13 marks more than ds2 who went to a tutor as I was unwell and struggling to do it with him. Feel guilty now :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now