Wait till March is killing me!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mrsowen

Re: Wait till March is killing me!!

Post by mrsowen »

anxiously hopeful wrote:Mrs O,
The secondary schools booklet issued by the Telford council only provides information about the in and out of area applicants for the Newport High school, i guess it will be the same for Adams, but only once the new admission rules are in place. I wonder if the school itself can provide this info :? It looks like there might be three different pass marks, I.e. for the FSM boys, for the catchment area boys and the rest :roll:
I am tired of waiting, after the holidays the time appears to have slowed down ...
I would have thought that the new catchment will favour in catchment boys that are in the lower end of the acceptable range of marks. After that it should be the same as the girls unless I am missing something. Will be interesting to see the stats for the September 2016 cohort.
Redshoes

Post by Redshoes »

Only a month to go, so near yet seems so far away
mrsowen

Post by mrsowen »

This time 4 weeks/28 days we should be out of our misery ... I hope not disappointed or on a wait list.

Anyone know what the lowest offer for an OOC girl for NGHS was in the last couple of years?

Mrs O
Twinsmummy2003

Post by Twinsmummy2003 »

Hi all

Last year's 'lowest' admittance place was 315 at NGHS

I just had an email from Shropshire Council (which we come under) to ask for comments on the admittance procedure. I completed it saying that if any of the schools (particularly the grammar's) are going to change their admittance policy - either catchment, exam format etc, then it should be not be implemented the following school year. It doesn't seem reasonable for families to plan only to have the criteria changed. We were planning for Adams for 18 months prior to my son taking the exam, and as we are OOC it would have been a whole different ball game and we would have made more stringent plans, which is what we have had to do for his twin sister. If anyone else has the opportunity to complete an LA form and you think it's a fair point, maybe you could let them know. (I see that Adam's are also welcoming comments on the change in policy).

I think moving the goalposts for children who are well into exam prep is cruel and disheartening - unless you live in catchment that is!
mrsowen

Post by mrsowen »

Hi Twinsmummy

What I am trying to ascertain I suppose is if that 315 is for a catchment girl or not. Without wanting to explain things most of us know, that 315 could be the score that NGHS had as the in catchment threshold i.e. any girl in catchment scoring 315 or more would get offered a place subject to completing the CAF form correctly etc.

As out of catchment girls are allocated places on rank I was wondering what the lowest score is for a girl out of catchment? Quite possibly that score is higher, what I am wondering is how much higher? IYKWIM

MrsO
Twinsmummy2003

Post by Twinsmummy2003 »

Dear MrsO

Ah I see! I don't have the answer I'm afraid, my daughter has two friends in catchment who got in the high 320's and they both say they their letters indicate that they have places. My daughter's other friend is out of catchment and had a strongly recommend at 344. According to the 'sticky' last year of the girls who scored 321 some got in and some didn't but that doesn't really help with OOC.

To give hope, the year before when they ranked girls I believe a girl in our school was ranked 150th and got offered a place eventually so I think there is a lot of movement and always cause for hope.

I think the lack of clarity of catchment numbers has backfired on us. We took my daughter to see the back up school because she was panicking about the 11+ and she preferred it to Newport. So much for having the twins in the same town!

I hope the results go your way.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Shropshire admissions site now says available to view allocation online on 1st March!!
mrsowen

Post by mrsowen »

onebigdilemma wrote:Shropshire admissions site now says available to view allocation online on 1st March!!
OMG! That is great if it is true.

I am a bit uncertain about something, did I read somewhere that NGHS and Adam send letters to those allocated places on the 27th, if so and those letters arrive on the 28th ...
Saddlers

Post by Saddlers »

I am just starting on this road! Can anybody recommend a good one on one tutor in Walsall aldridge or sutton areas? Please message me if you do as it seems a minefield!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now