Adams' Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wolves mum

Re: Adams' Grammar

Post by Wolves mum »

Happy dad wrote:
Wolves mum wrote: Adams' is a great school i have one son there but i have noticed that the grades achieved in my sons form range from a* to E. The head did tell me that every year a proportion of boys get into the school that shouldn't as they are tutored for the exam but then struggle in the school.
I have ds2 grades in front of me and for the whole of Year 7 there were no grades below a C :?: I am also intrigued as to why you assume this is a pupil who was "tutored for the exam" - Adams take boarders with much lower scores than any day pupils and also a move to a new school can be unsettling for many children which impacts grades.
I'm just going by what the old Head said, and I may be completely wrong.
Anteater03

Post by Anteater03 »

My DS goes to WGS and the school is first class, their exam results are listed differently to state schools snd are unfairly left out in some categories. Their results are 100% a-c. They also have one of the best centres for able special needs children, my son being one of them, who consistently gains a* results in Opal. Their pastoral care is wonderful and I would recommend WGS to any parent. Amazing school that has great academic results and a very happy caring atmosphere. I think
It would be better for a visit to the school before you judge a school on results and look around and meet the pupils and staff.
In addition it won't be possible to view WGS's exam results next year as they join the ranks of Eton in that they will not be able to list their results in the league tables.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend WGS to anyone. It's a fantastic school.
FunkyMonkey

Post by FunkyMonkey »

I must agree. WGS is a fantastic school. It's more laid back than Adams. Maybe that gives it an air of less formality.

I have academic children at both schools, so I can compare each school's comparative merits.

I would not criticise either school.

Adams is more suited to industrious children that need order and their time filled for them, whereas WGS is more suited to free spirits that are proactive.

Adams has the brilliant house system that gets everyone involved that would not normally do extra curricula activities, whereas WGS has no house system but almost any club you could think of, during lunchtimes and after school.

I can second that WGS pastoral care is second to none, with instant action on concerns raised by me.in past.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Had email today about the new catchment area and admission criteria....can not believe only 17 people wrote to say they didn't agree with this change!!

Anyone any news on lowest score offered a place so far......the top thread seems to have been taken over by Birmingham schools!!
Last edited by onebigdilemma on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

onebigdilemma wrote:Had email today about the new catchment area and admission criteria....can not believe only 12 people wrote to say they didn't agree with this change!!

Anyone any news on lowest score offered a place so far......the top thread seems to have been taken over by Birmingham schools!!
Is it getting the go ahead then?

I emailed the school raising concerns but they didn't respond.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

It states it is addressing concerns now the consultation period is over, and argues each point made. I can send as attachment if you PM email address if you want to read document in full.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

Can anyone hazard a guess at what the cut off score will be for out of catchment boys if the changes take place?
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

In excess of 350.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

What makes you think the scores for ooc will need to be in excess of 350. If NGHS ooc receive offers at 320 for ooc when they only have around 85 places surely Adams will be similar scores
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Because of WGHS. Many will be willing to attend both. For boys is may be either Adams or hoping to get an assisted place at WGS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now