Kes Interview

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
clearsky

Re: Kes Interview

Post by clearsky »

The interview went well, Ds came out smiling and happy, just hope we get the assisted place as we can't afford it otherwise. The waiting game has began again but thank god its only 2 weeks untill 13th of February, they did say that letters with results will be sent out on the 11th February first class. I wish all the children's still waiting to attend interviews all the best, and those that are still waiting for interview calls don't give up hopes, they have explained in a e-mail that they will be offering many places without interview.
overanxiousmumof3

Post by overanxiousmumof3 »

Hi All

I have just registered but been closely following you all and your advice for some months now.
I have enjoyed reading your posts and benefitted form all the advice, only wish I had found the website pre September - we only moved to B'ham last year and only started this rollercoaster at beginning of year 5 for our DS, hadn't even thought about it before them.
Anyway I wanted to let everyone know that KES calling for borderline interviews now as we had call today for DS. We were told he has done well but so have lots of others and not enough places for them all so hence interview. We were told he did well on maths paper but not so well on English so he is being interviewed by the head of English. We will wait and see what happens. Not going to do any prep other than ensure he is reading a sensible book i.e. NOT Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Lord of the Rings!
DS did well in Septembers exam - 226. He wants Five Ways so he is borderline and I think I probably prefer Aston for him, which I think he will get.
If he gets into KES have dilema re where to go, trying not to be swayed by money.
Have to go through this agian next year for DD1 although she is currently at EHS and tempted to stay put!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

overanxiousmumof3 wrote:...a sensible book i.e. NOT Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Lord of the Rings!...
Not wishing to derail the thread but I'm agog to know why they're not and what would be...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Lol! Me too! I suspect in a sea of "appropriate" tomes such as War and Peace (in the original Russian) and The Complete Works of Shakespeare (unabridged version) they would be a breath of fresh air (not to mention a truer reflection of the child!) :D
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Not wishing to shock, but I would very much like to be able to persuade my otherwise-bookish KES-boy to read The Lord of the Rings, or even just The Hobbit!

Something in me wants all these grammars and independents children to be fantastically bright, talented, gifted, able ... but they're, either dissappointingly or to my relief, largely just ordinary children: finding their way through into adulthood, with a nudge and a push from us - the adults who've travelled that way before and observed the journey of others too.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Interesting to see what KES make of Lord of the Rings / Hobbit - written by one of the old boys!

Used to be desks with "Tolkien is hobbit making" written on them
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

hermanmunster wrote:Interesting to see what KES make of Lord of the Rings / Hobbit - written by one of the old boys!

Used to be desks with "Tolkien is hobbit making" written on them
:lol: Reading The Hobbit is a necessary part of KES! I'm sure he would have read it by the time he leaves :lol:
um

Post by um »

The Lord of the Rings would be most appropriate for KES, being written by a former student :D
I have come to the conclusion that children have to read Diary of a Wimpy Kid to get it out of their system. I've let mine go through the whole series, gritting my teeth, then got them onto Young Sherlock Holmes or a Horowitz or Colfer book quickly afterwards :D
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Um

I'm glad I'm not the only despiser of DOAWK
Also Horrid Henry!

My son loved Horowitz and YSH - imagine my dissapointment when he regressed to the aforementioned and other "comic" books.

He always loved Asterix - maybe that was a bad influence.

Ah well - at least he actually likes reading!
clearsky

Post by clearsky »

I think its important to allow a child to read a mixture of books, yes some books they read such as DOTWK we may dislike as a parents but its part of them growing up and soon they will move on to read other books that we feel more comfortable for them to read. My son used to love reading DOTWK and Mr gum, both I found extremely annoying, but yet allowed him to read them. Also he really enjoyed reading The Hobbit, and watched the movie too and I'm glad he did, because he is really inspired by JRR Tolkien.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now