Solihull School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Re: Solihull School

Post by um »

I have to say that from my own experience the SENCo at CHB was very helpful and attentive.
Ds2 has a SEN although this has improved significantly since an operation a few years ago.
The SENCo was always available to talk to, and took clear action to support ds2.

However his need was sensory, not academic....I have a feeling that if a child needed additional support academically, whether because they required more explanation of things, or were not that motivated/organised, an Indie school, with smaller class sizes in particular, might be a better fit. As might be expected, the boys at CHB can be pretty competitive, and if the school works them fast it is because they want to work fast.

The two schools are also quite different in terms of ethnicity and overall social background, particularly as this year CHB will be endeavouring to admit more pupils who are eligible for FSM.
Personally I'd rather my children went to CHB for its more Birmingham-reality - reflective mix, but every family will make their own personal decisions.
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

um wrote:I...I have a feeling that if a child needed additional support academically, whether because they required more explanation of things, or were not that motivated/organised, an Indie school, with smaller class sizes in particular, might be a better fit. As might be expected, the boys at CHB can be pretty competitive, and if the school works them fast it is because they want to work fast..
I agree with this. When we looked round KEHS, the girl who showed us around said that teachers were always available to help students with work at break times, lunchtimes and after school and I'm not sure all state-school teachers can be this flexible, although many do put in many extra hours with students. However, at CHG they have a one to one English tutor who supports those struggling with English but I'm not sure if there is one at CHB?
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Maybe it books down to supply and demand possibly
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Amarstone, that is interesting.
I was speaking to an English tutor who said to me that she gets students from CHG mainly for English because, whilst the science and Maths departments are strong, it is not the same with english......That they come with incomplete course work which involves classic literature etc which is hard to do a quick fix on!

Can you give any more insight please?
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Hi wildwest,

I find the comments on English at CHG strange because they do the AQA syllabus at GCSE which involves controlled assessment rather than course work. This is completed in exam conditions in school and thus can't be incomplete.
SGreene

Post by SGreene »

Amarstone wrote:I agree with this. When we looked round KEHS, the girl who showed us around said that teachers were always available to help students with work at break times, lunchtimes and after school and I'm not sure all state-school teachers can be this flexible, although many do put in many extra hours with students. However, at CHG they have a one to one English tutor who supports those struggling with English but I'm not sure if there is one at CHB?
But why private school teachers more flexible than state school teachers? I thought all teachers want kids to do well and should help if wanted. More boys per year in private school than state school so I don't understand.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Don't bite the hand that feeds I suppose..
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

SGreene wrote:
Amarstone wrote:
But why private school teachers more flexible than state school teachers? I thought all teachers want kids to do well and should help if wanted. More boys per year in private school than state school so I don't understand.
Of course all teachers want kids to do well and help. I work in a school where there is extensive after school support and intervention for those struggling with key subjects. However, state school teachers tend to have bigger classes regardless of how many students there are per year and subjects like English come with many hours of marking and there are only so many hours in the day. In addition, I think that teachers in private schools sometimes have longer contact hours written into their contracts which means that they stay later or work on Saturdays. This isn't always the case on many state-schools, although as more and more become independent academies, this is likely to change in the future. I'm talking generally though and am not sure about how much intervention there is at the grammar schools or CHB in particular.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I work in a state school and many teachers are there till 5.30 or 6 every day. Then you have the Friday after-school revision sessions and Saturday Swot Shop. I don't think they can fit in much more tbh.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Hi DenDe

I see what you mean...the tutor certainly gets CHG pupils for English tutoring nearing their Gcse year, as I have seen it myself.

Whilst you can help at home for 11+, secondary school may not be a nut that parents can crack at home...that's why I was looking into it, given English is a core subject one would hope that the quality of teaching at a well thought about grammar is up to the mark
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now