BVGS or KEFW?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KHmum11

Re: BVGS or KEFW?

Post by KHmum11 »

Could any current parent shed a little more light on the above? Is it really the case today as well that taking zillions of gcses are compulsory? I am not doubting that this may be suitable for some children (possibly not mine) just really seeking some up to date data.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I'm not a KEFW parent but I was taking to my nephew a couple of days ago who is in KEFW.

He is in Year 8 and was telling me about how he has to make decisions on GCSE options now. My own DD is also in Year 8 at CHG and it hasn't been discussed yet.

I think they currently take 11 GCSEs under their GCSE Plus system.

http://fwgs.kefw.org/Documents/New%20Ye ... %2014a.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

English Lang, English Lit, Maths, RS and three sciences are compulsary and they choose four more, of which one is a language.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Three sciences are not compulsory, you can do double science. The school does three year GCSE and studies outside the syllabus to get a more in depth knowledge of the subject. You have to do one language, one humanity and a creative subject. In total eleven I believe although if you do Further Maths also it may be twelve.

When comparing to Adams' for instance it is one more GCSE - hardly anything to write home about.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Ok just commenting as I was only discussing this with him the other day and that's what he told me. Yes it is only one more than other schools not "zillions" as suggested. I copied a link for the OP anyway. No need to worry.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If it's down to 11 that's fine, it used to be a lot more and taken early rather than a 3-year GCSE.
mombrum

Post by mombrum »

I am also worried about the level of exams/homework. Could anybody give me an idea how much homework the children get in year 7 and 8 at KEFW? My son is quite a laid back fella in this area and I want him to still be able to enjoy outside activities.
KHmum11

Post by KHmum11 »

Thank you moseleymum for the link and certainly agree with mike that it doesn't look so strenuous to do 11 gcses especially with a three year prep. And yes, happy dad it seems that it's not worth worrying about. Pheww!
Very reassuring to know that DCs aren't/wouldn't be swallowed up by some gigantic exam-machine ... My DD does quite a bit of sport out of school and would like to carry on with at least some of it.
Thanks again all.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

mombrum wrote:I am also worried about the level of exams/homework. Could anybody give me an idea how much homework the children get in year 7 and 8 at KEFW? My son is quite a laid back fella in this area and I want him to still be able to enjoy outside activities.
I wouldn't worry - my guess is DS1 gets less than 30 minutes per day over year 7 and 8. I am hoping he starts to get more when he starts GCSE next year :evil:

The homework policy - HIPPO - splits homework into three sections:
- must do
- should do
- can do.
Fair to say DS1 rarely gets past the "must do" but his grades haven't suffered.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Homework in year 7 is modest in my opinion. My son is also laid back and copes well. Some subjects set very little homework. I would never call kefw an exam factory. Anything but. Many parents choose it because they think it's less of an exam factory than some other schools. Strange how our perceptions can be so different. Pm me for homework detail if you like.
KHmum11

Post by KHmum11 »

Yup, that's what we thought after the open days but previous posts on past experience suggested otherwise.
Some other schools seemed more of 'all work little play' type, glad you are confirming FW isn't one of them.
Daughter is on waiting list (was our first choice) and although we are happy with second choice offered, it seems that its worth excercising some patience. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now