Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nervousmom

Re: A bit bonkers methinks!

Post by nervousmom »

Poor child :(
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thing is it is easy to make judgements but without knowing DC or home situation there could be any number of reasons.

Maybe they did nothing until the summer, then decided on an intense revision program and are now taking a week off with him so he doesn't get stressed by his school mates. Lets face it on another thread someone is thinking of keeping DC home the day before an exam and is not being accused of anything horrific.

Best not judge, we all have our own standards as to what is acceptable or not in terms of prep and they vary greatly :)
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Still no signs of this ds at school- let's hope he turns up for the test. :?
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Heard today that the ds in question at the start of this thread scored 291 for the Walsall test.
I hope he does a whole lot better for the KE exam after all that MASSIVE effort - poor boy :( :(
MSD

Post by MSD »

Bob1892 wrote:Heard today that the ds in question at the start of this thread scored 291 for the Walsall test.
I hope he does a whole lot better for the KE exam after all that MASSIVE effort - poor boy :( :(
Hmnn.. Feel for the boy. And it's becoming worse - I recently heard of a well known tuition centre doubling the number of weekly hours from 2 to 4, and increasing the frequency from once a week to twice a week. And parents are gleefully accepting the extended hours and, of course, the extended charges. Crazy really!
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

Bob1892 wrote:Heard today that the ds in question at the start of this thread scored 291 for the Walsall test.
That poor child :( :( :(
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I do not believe six hours is either desirable or a credible narrative. Its a akin to the urban myth about a well known fried chicken brand where the unfortunate customer, takes a big juicy bite into his supposed chicken, only to subsequently find its a rat.

Great for parties over a glass of shhharrrdonay, but most likely limited truth / accuracy departments, which just enough truth to the story that it keeps circulating. E.g. I have no doubt the kid did get 291. If you want your child to fail their 11+ nag them to death and keep them working for as long as physically possible, preferably 10 hours a day, alternately buy two bus tickets to a random destination and send DC, off for a fun day out with the local heroin addict. Both probably count equally as child abuse / neglect.

Whilst it is possible to do six hours (in 1 or over many days) it would be wholly unnecessary and the law of diminishing returns suggests it would be worse than fruitless and actually harm his performance.

This sort of kids is probably the type that would benefit from a GS education, on the basis that for once he would have some adults around him actively trying to construct an education pathway that was adapted to him as a person and his educational needs.

Overall this childs reality partially exists in your mind and perceptions. Don't panic and make your son or daughter the full embodiment of the urban myth elements of this thread.

No one is making up porkies, but you make your reality, so make it a good one
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Midlandsmom wrote:
That poor child :( :( :(
Might explain the need for all those hours of tuition?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

I'm not sure it does Toadmum. I think it makes it even more upsetting that a child spent his summer holiday working so hard. Just my opinion.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Midlandsmom wrote:I'm not sure it does Toadmum. I think it makes it even more upsetting that a child spent his summer holiday working so hard. Just my opinion.
I totally agree with you. However, if the poor thing really did score below average in an exam despite intensive tutoring, then possibly the parents believed / deluded themselves that it was a lack of outside input that was the problem rather than facing the fact that an academically selective school was not actually a suitable destination for their child.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now