Best technique for comprehension

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiredmama

Best technique for comprehension

Post by tiredmama »

Just wondering if anyone has any tips how to best do comprehension. Do you think it is best to read the questions first to familiarise then read the text or read the text straight away? Will children be allowed to underline any important bits of info as they are reading or are they not allowed to mark on the paper?
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
Curiousparent

Re: Best technique for comprehension

Post by Curiousparent »

Hi,

You can wait for the experts to comment.

This is what my DD does...
1. Reads the passage. We dedicate atleast 3-5 to 7 mins to the passage depending on the length
2. Underlines main events like names, years, feelings etc...
3. Then move on to questions and refers to the passage as and when required...

Thanks
CP
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

CPs method is similar to what we use. Works well every time. DS does not underline anything though but his speed and accuracy have improved.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I think it is very individual. DD1 ok with reading paragraph first, then answering questions. DD2 is a slower reader and would get bogged down with trying to remember what she was reading and it slowed her down. It worked better for her having a glance at questions first to get an idea of what to concentrate on from passage. Practise both ways and see what suits best. Good luck.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

I think this question has come up before in previous exam years (little fish, my eldest, took the 11+ Sept 2013).

Like others I'm a firm believer in quickly reading the passage through completely first and then working my way through questions - but have two wrinkles to this system.

It is worth checking the structure of questions - often in comprehension the first 2/3rds of questions are on the story and the last 1/3 is vocabulary related. If vocabulary is a strength or your fairly confident you know the meanings of the words listed - it may be strategic to go for vocabulary questions first and then comprehension questions. [In exam conditions the timing will be very tight so better to focus on the questions you can easily gain points from & then go back to more time consuming/ difficult questions]

In general comprehension questions tend to reflect the sequence in the text - so first questions are at the start of the text and last questions are at the end of the text. Use that structure to help you know generally where to start looking for your answer.

As ever with comprehension the answer is actaully in the text your job is to find text to support your answer.

Hope that helps
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

We too are struggling with this. We're going to try underlining answers. Any other suggestions will be greatfully received
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

OldTrout wrote:I think this question has come up before in previous exam years (little fish, my eldest, took the 11+ Sept 2013).

Like others I'm a firm believer in quickly reading the passage through completely first and then working my way through questions - but have two wrinkles to this system.

It is worth checking the structure of questions - often in comprehension the first 2/3rds of questions are on the story and the last 1/3 is vocabulary related. If vocabulary is a strength or your fairly confident you know the meanings of the words listed - it may be strategic to go for vocabulary questions first and then comprehension questions. [In exam conditions the timing will be very tight so better to focus on the questions you can easily gain points from & then go back to more time consuming/ difficult questions]

In general comprehension questions tend to reflect the sequence in the text - so first questions are at the start of the text and last questions are at the end of the text. Use that structure to help you know generally where to start looking for your answer.

As ever with comprehension the answer is actaully in the text your job is to find text to support your answer.

Hope that helps
Thank you, great advice.
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now