Timing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
meldan103

Timing

Post by meldan103 »

Does anybody know the process for timing ? Do the children get advised when they are halfway through the paper, five minutes before the end of the paper or 1 minute before the end of paper. I do not wish to send my dd in with her watch as know this will be a distraction for her.
bluejay

Re: Timing

Post by bluejay »

I believe you are notified when there are 5 minutes left and also at 1 to 2 minutes however if there is a particularly small timed section my DS said they didn't necessarily warn / remind you.
I will send DS in with his watch on this particular exam as it states a simple watch is allowed.
Some children do however find the watch a distraction.
In the Queen Mays exam they were not permitted to have any watches and DS they could therefore clearly see the many clocks available from wherever they were seated.
meldan103

Post by meldan103 »

Thankyou for yoir reply, much appreciated. Good luck to your ds
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

There are many timed sections in the Cem 11 plus paper and if your child is allowed a watch I would take it in.The simpler the better with a seconds dial.

Some children may find a watch distracting but these are time pressured exams and a watch may make it easier to know the time as some children sit the exams in large halls with hundreds of children.

My children took watches into their exams and have always done so in all exams until Universities introduced rules for watches to prevent watches which may store information going into exams and hence QM boys prevented watches in their exam.The rules are to prevent cheating.A simple watch doesn't allow cheating.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

meldan103 wrote:Thankyou for yoir reply, much appreciated. Good luck to your ds
Best of luck to your DD too, now that the DC are back to school this week it means that the exam is literally here. I cant wait for it to be done with to be honest.

It is best to have a simple watch as if your DC can't see a clock it would be quite difficult to judge the time.

Once my DS checks his watch or i give him a reminder of the time remaining it always gives my son that little push to speed up!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Need to be careful regarding times, in the early days of CEM in B/ham timings were very tight. In one exam there were 80 synonyms to do in 10 mins - that only 7.5 secs per question!
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Just to also confirm what Ken R has posted. In 2013 when little fish took the exam she and her friends all said that there were sections they did not complete.

Every kid is different of course - but my small fry would panic a bit if she thought she was supposed to finish every section and I think once she couldn't complete a section, that 'panic' would spill over to the next section on the exam. So I've worked hard at home to ensure she understands timings are ridiculously tight on the KE CEM and to just take each section one at at time. Once it's done - put it out of your mind and focus on the new exam section.

After all it's your total points across Maths/ VR/ NVR & English questions that counts - not precisely where you earn them.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now