Year 7 CAT test tomorrow.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

booellesmum

Year 7 CAT test tomorrow.

Post by booellesmum »

Poor DD very nervous about CAT test at school tomorrow! Thought she'd finished with all that after 11+ and now there's more!!
Eccentric

Re: Year 7 CAT test tomorrow.

Post by Eccentric »

My Dd failed the 11+ but got very high CAT scores.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

That sounds like a brag it is not meant that way. The CAT test is very laid back and the schools don't really make a big deal of it. I have a friend who works in a prep that does them every year and she says that the children's scores change every year so it really is not a very good marker :D
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

booellesmum wrote:Poor DD very nervous about CAT test at school tomorrow! Thought she'd finished with all that after 11+ and now there's more!!
My dd has hers on Monday at WGHS. Until I saw your post this morning and asked her I was unaware it was taking place.There is nothing to worry about and nothing for us to do.She was regularly having similar tests at her previous preparatory school of which I was unaware until I saw a school report.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I'm fine about it, she got told yesterday that they would be today. She was very worried last night and tried grilling her older sister - who could remember nothing about it from 3 years ago. Turns out a big part of the problem was she didn't know how long it would be and therefore was worried about what books she needed to take to school!
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Eccentric wrote:My Dd failed the 11+ but got very high CAT scores.
We were not told results when DD1 did it 3 years ago. Just wondering how many schools do give them out?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I have never seen my dd's CAT results and don't know what they were.The school report I was referring to was for the purposes of entrance at an Independent school of a friends daughter.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

We do cat tests in year 5 and tell the parents results as it helps them decide whether to try Kent Test or not (Kent being opt in)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Never seen the results of secondary cats/midyis either.
Son number two told me only last year he got silly high cats results in year 7, this was only when I asked him what a code on his ks3 report meant, bless him if he hadn't got 90% he was wb (well below his predicted results from his cat test) I was still very happy and proud of his great ks3 results though, even if his school were not! So high year 7 cats can be a bit of a double edged sword. I suspect son number two, who was only 'good' at cats, not astounding, will pleasantly surprise them. So ithe magic cats predictions don't work for all children and really make no odds long term as year end reports are far more important, although a few of the uppers round here combine cats, sats, teacher reports and their own year 7 cats to help stream after the first term.
I can whole heartedly relate to the which books to take for the rest of the day panic though....I will doubtless go through that with ds3!
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I think the worrying thing is that schools are still using CATs as predictors. The human brain is plastic and this especially applies to a child's brain and I am really not sure what schools haven't cottoned on to this yet. Effort is a far better predictor.