It's all over....... 5 week countdown to results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MSD

Re: It's all over....... 5 week countdown to results

Post by MSD »

Firsttimemum wrote: So in essence they average out all the sept born ,October born etc and then look to see if there is a difference between the average score? Then they adjust them if the average scores shows that the younger children average lower scores?

That makes a lot of sense Firsttimemum! I stand corrected - so they basically look at if the average score of certain age group is greater than that of a younger group. Makes sense!

MSD
gowest

Post by gowest »

cooljsn wrote:
My worry is that as exam was easy, the gap between more capable and less capable will be little than usual and a less capable kid could get more mark / score than more capable kid with some luck (as it was multiple choice a lucky day could result in most of the guess as correct answer ).

I know it is already tough on kids but I prefer to see a tougher paper and have fair chances to every kid and they get marks based on combination of their potential , preparation and how they perform that day. Luck etc shouldn't play a role in it. I agree that 10% gap between oldest (almost 11year old) and youngest(almost 10 year old) candidate should be factored into.
No offence to any parent or kid.
+1
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes, MSD....so it is possible (although possibly unlikely) that if there is a very very bright group of say August born children and a very very average group of October born children, actually the August born children may have to achieve a higher raw score than the Oct children, if you see what I mean?
MSD

Post by MSD »

Yup - understood!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

MSD wrote:The idea behind standardisation is to provide level playing field irrespective of the age of the cohort sitting the test. However, a dumbed down, easier test completely takes the maturity factor out of equation.

I believe this years test has been the easiest by far! Generally you would find Walsall test to be easier than Brum, but it was the other way around this year.

MSD
A couple of very popular tutors have said that last year's test was actually easier than this year's - they were both given chapter & verse on content for both tests.
But then again it's all relative...
MSD

Post by MSD »

Bob1892 wrote:A couple of very popular tutors have said that last year's test was actually easier than this year's - they were both given chapter & verse on content for both tests.
But then again it's all relative...
My understanding is that content was almost similar to last years but lot easier on time!

MSD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

MSD wrote:Yup - understood!

Hmm...so you see I WAS being adult AND constructive in my previous comment - and, actually, factually correct.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

One things for sure about this year's test: standardisation will most likely play a very important role.
MSD

Post by MSD »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Hmm...so you see I WAS being adult AND constructive in my previous comment - and, actually, factually correct.
Now with that comment you surely make me wonder if you are an adult :)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Bob1892 wrote:One things for sure about this year's test: standardisation will most likely play a very important role.
Not anymore than it usually does. i.e it will iron out any age related advantages ... or disadvantages should that strange occurance happen, as KC points out
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now