Invigilation Breach, Five Ways, Room S8

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daisydave2

Invigilation Breach, Five Ways, Room S8

Post by Daisydave2 »

The invigilator at Five Ways on Saturday in Room S8 gave the same advice: not to show workings on question papers or to underline the text in the comprehension. If your child was in this room or you know of a child that was, please speak to them about Saturday and report if you get the same information.
I have reported my concerns to the Foundation office. Thanks.
Bob1892

Re: Invigilation Breach, Five Ways, Room S8

Post by Bob1892 »

Daisydave2 wrote:The invigilator at Five Ways on Saturday in Room S8 gave the same advice: not to show workings on question papers or to underline the text in the comprehension. If your child was in this room or you know of a child that was, please speak to them about Saturday and report if you get the same information.
I have reported my concerns to the Foundation office. Thanks.
What the hecks been going on in brum this year.
Just not good enough.
As if it wasn't stressful already.
Daisydave2

Post by Daisydave2 »

I'm hoping they take this information very seriously indeed. Do they need more than one complaint to verify it?
um

Post by um »

I have had complaint after complaint after complaint this year :roll:
Never known anything like this in previous years.
I've had to start compiling a list now. I cannot verify anything - that of course is up to the foundation.

I usually really respect the organisation and efficiency of the foundation but something has clearly gone wrong with the invigilators' training this year.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I am astounded by these reports. Feel so sorry for children involved, I know my children would have been completely thrown if they had received the same set of instructions :( .

Really hope the Foundation Office verifies these reports and takes appropriate action. Please keep us informed.
Daisydave2

Post by Daisydave2 »

I'll let you know how this progresses. Thanks for the support.
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

My son has also just mentioned that he was at Five Ways R10 and the inviligator said not to write anything on the question sheet and to do any working out on the answer sheet!!!
My son said that the tape said not to write anything other than answers on the sheet so he went by what i had said to him which was that NOTHING other than the answer is to be marked on the answer sheet and as per the recorded instructions.
I am a bit worried now.....
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Blimey not more allegations.
I think I better check with my ds to make sure he didn't do his working out on the answer sheet and written the answers in the question booklet!
But seriously I'm not sure whether the FO will do much about this in terms of having the scores adjusted.
However if a dc doesn't make the cut then surely it's grounds for appeal.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Working out was to be done on the question booklet and no working out was to be on the answer sheet.

As Bob points out, I don't see how th FO can sort this. There is no fair way of doing this.

The test can't be re-sat, as this then gives these children a huge advantage. Points can't really be given in lieu as these children may or may not have got the questions right anyway.

I think the best way to resolve this, is for the DP of those DC involved to log a complaint with the FO. When the offers go out in March the FO, as this year, should only offer PAN and not over.

Then any children who have been affected by these invigilator errors, who have missed out, could be given the right to appeal. Although I would expect that each of these papers for the children involved would be re examined and decisions made accordingly. (If these children are very bright, the may well have the correct answers without any working out)

This is a really difficult situation and I can't see any way round this that makes it fair to all.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

The FO know which child sat in which room. If they know the rooms affected from the various complaints then they will know which children are likely to have been disadvantaged. There will probably need to be several complaints from each room to be valid as well as the invigilator report as well.

They will no doubt keep a very close eye on the results of those particular children and may have to write to them specifically as there is likely to be a huge issue if those children find they have just missed out when the results come out.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now