Open evening musings

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Happy dad

Re: Open evening musings

Post by Happy dad »

Girls are most definitely not an after thought at KEFW. In fact on many occasions - prize giving etc - you would think boys were the minority. The Head is from an all girls school I believe.

Haven't seen any comments re KEFW "shoddy" open evening :?:
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Been to Aston and got to admit I was somewhat impressed.
Thankfully our guide was decent IYKWIM - he's been very happy at the school.
Ok speech by headmaster.
Will remain on our list.
Been to all the KE schools now with my dd and now with my ds.
Must admit my clear favourite is ke handsworth for girls. Shame my ds is the wrong gender :(
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

My son is at KEFW and he was pristine on the open evening!

FW is the only KE school we have looked at so I can't comment on any of the others.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Anyone else been to Aston tonight?
Any views?
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Just to add that my daughter has travelled by public bus to and from KEVIHS (as King Edward Handsworth Girls is known) for the last 3+ years. I have never felt her to be unsafe. It is very busy in that area and on a main road if you are taking a public bus. The school make no mention of 'safe corridors' or police advice. I know the mention of Handsworth makes some people nervous but because it is so busy I feel it is probably much safer than quieter and 'nicer' areas. There's always someone who could help you if there is any problem.

And the school is fantastic, as people have been noting. For boys I prefer QMGS to any of the KE boys' options on the west side of Birmingham.
um

Post by um »

I know a lot of boys at KE Aston and have never heard any negative comments about it.
They have said that they feel very well supported academically to achieve and that the school offers a lot for sporty boys too.
It remains one of the top schools in the UK.

As for the area - I have never heard of any attacks on KE Aston students. The safe corridor is presumably advertised as that because it is pretty safe.
The only time I have ever been mugged was in Sutton Coldfield many years ago. Ds1 was beaten up once waiting for the bus to get to CHB (not near the school, but near our old house) Unfortunately there are potential dangers everywhere.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

um wrote:I know a lot of boys at KE Aston and have never heard any negative comments about it.
They have said that they feel very well supported academically to achieve and that the school offers a lot for sporty boys too.
It remains one of the top schools in the UK.

As for the area - I have never heard of any attacks on KE Aston students. The safe corridor is presumably advertised as that because it is pretty safe.
The only time I have ever been mugged was in Sutton Coldfield many years ago. Ds1 was beaten up once waiting for the bus to get to CHB (not near the school, but near our old house) Unfortunately there are potential dangers everywhere.
I think I'd better keep away from Sutton!
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

Happy dad wrote: Haven't seen any comments re KEFW "shoddy" open evening :?:
Me neither. I went on Friday evening, and fell in love even more. My son got on really well with the 2 year 7s showing us round, and though they weren't great at following the map or knowing their way round (who would be after just 3 weeks?!) They were absolute stars and every pupil and teacher I spoke to was informative and friendly. I honestly have no idea why anyone would think it 'shoddy'? It's our only realistic choice however, all other KE schools are far too far away so won't be bothering with the rest.
koala

Post by koala »

Some of the KEFW pupils may look "shoddy" or less than perfect as many left home at 7.30am or earlier for school and in the afternoon independently travelled to friends' houses, cinema, park (anywhere but home) before having to be back at school for 6 pm. Think about what young people look like after a day at school and a few hours with friends. When I picked up my DC after open evening at 8.30pm they hadn't eaten since lunchtime apart from a few sweets despite them having instructions and money to do so.
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

I have to agree with um about KE Aston.

My DS is now in his third year there and has always been supported and encouraged at the school. He lacks confidence in himself and the school have gone out of their way to help him with this. Having got in off the waiting list I wondered if he would struggle but he's has made fantastic progress and had been able to reach the schools high expectations. Also, the pastoral care at KE Aston is second to none. My DD (who has just done her GCSEs) at KECHG has not had anything like this, in fact at times I can find the teachers at KECHG less than helpful!

I agree that the location and appearance of KE Aston is not in some people eyes the best and the fact that there is a 'safe route' may be a worry. However I have never heard of a pupil having any problems on the way to or from school. I believe the safe route was put in place many years ago when things in the area were different and the school have just chosen to keep it in place. Several of the boys quite happily walk to and from Aston train station etc with no problem at all.

I would certainly urge people not to discount the school on its appearance at first glance. It really is a lovely school and being smaller has a great 'family' feel. We chose it for our DS as it was the 'right fit' for him and he certainly feels very much at home there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now