Walsall/Wolves/Shropshire Results 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MSD

Re: Walsall/Wolves/Shropshire Results 2015

Post by MSD »

Just wanted to share the below information from someone I know before people start panicking and predicting KE scores based on Walsall scores.

Based on the stats I have, for every one that does bear a correlation to the KE result, I have another with a significant difference. Some of this is down to the different weighting but often it is down to the fact some children are more ready July than others and others, like my two 199s from Walsall last year (despite having maths/nvr as their best subjects) get a massive wake up call from that exam and go on to manage 216 an 221 in the KE exam. And one in reverse where Walsall was about 224 and KE 180 or something really low like that.

Yes, of course, it is nice if you have a good result. It means you have secured a great school. But, other than that, I would preach caution about treating it as pre-cursor to similar in the KE.

EDIT - For comparison with KE, the Walsall scores above have been averaged down to two subject areas. The score you will receive from Walsall consortium will be standardised 3 ways i.e 300+ for above average, and below 300 for under average scores.
Last edited by MSD on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MSD

Post by MSD »

And would also like to add that my own son went down from 371 in QM to 235 in KE. I have put this down to pressure and nerves on the day as we were aiming for KE rather than QM. Our tutor hasn't forgiven me to this day and keeps reminding me that I put too much pressure on him and I have finally admitted that she was right. We played it differently this time around, and let's see what results that brings for us :)
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Two years ago my son went from 330 in the Walsall exam to 197 in the KE consortium. He really didn't work much over the summer and the exam was only a couple of days after they went back to school. His head wasn't in the game at all.

I'm mighty relieved that this is my last 11+ adventure. Don't think I could stand a summer with a single make or break exam looming. And it's not good for family life to have a summer spoilt by a high level of 11+ prep. That would have been 3 summers of the last 5 gone. We escaped the first because the exam was in November, and this year we had an extra week of holidays to get back in gear. Feeling sorry for those taking it in 2016.
MSD

Post by MSD »

That's a fair drop! Our last 11+ adventure too - a huge bag of 11+ has already been binned :lol: :lol:

Thinking about it, could have started a full fledged tutoring business with the stuff we had - quite lucrative to be fair :wink:
MSD

Post by MSD »

A popular tuition center in Shirley conducted quite a few mocks. The last one, if I am not wrong, had 500+ taking it at 50 quid apiece. That's a nice 25,000 quid for a days work :D

Oh, and I believe there was an additional 20 quid if you wanted a breakdown. We took one of the earlier mocks, and joking aside, I was quite impressed with the organisation of the mock and the way they reported and presented the final score card.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I have used their services too MSD - for all three children_ and found them very helpful. They declined my £20 for a breakdown this time round as my boy had performed far better than his older siblings and they didn't think it was worth my while! I was impressed that they weren't grasping for the money.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Turtlegirl wrote: I was impressed that they weren't grasping for the money.
Of course - that's the last thing on their mind and surely it has to be buy two and get last one free :lol: :lol:
Last edited by MSD on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Turtlegirl: I am having / have had a breakdown!!
MSD

Post by MSD »

PP - you are the man - at least you managed to work on all the weak areas just in time.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

So what time does everyone's post come tomorrow? We don't get ours until about midday. Although I don't expect we will get them until Saturday. Monday will be a killer as I'll be at work all day!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now